More threads by gaurdianAQ

Hi there, I haven't been on this site in a while but I've been having some issues recently and thought I'd bring them up here.

So I know I've been diagnosed with ADD and recently I started 3 online university programs... The issue is I'm having serious trouble keeping up with the work load. I find that I understand all the concepts and that they are fairly easy to do. But I have so much trouble just reading through the content. Like the actual learning part of it, I understand it when I read it... Just sitting there for how ever long it takes I start to either get bored or start feeling really dizzy.

I can't seem to work for more than 4-5 hours at a time which is proving to not be enough. After this point it just gets really hard and I start to get side tracked more easily (which is saying something as it's easy enough to get side tracked as is)

I also seem to have issues getting to bed on time and waking up on time.

I am 19 and have been diagnosed with Tourettes, OCD, ADD, and Diabetes (yes not a neurological disorder but your sugar fluctuating all the time has an effect on your ability to function and tends to enhance everything). At the moment I'm taking 80 mg of Straterra once a day at breakfast.

And interesting thought that comes to mind is I was working at harveys in the summer and I had no issues working a 7 hour shift (well the only issue sometimes was physical tiredness...)

I know I was reading that Straterra is not a stimulant... sometimes I wonder if a med that is a stimulant might be better for me... Definitly gonna consult a doctor about it. Past week or so I've been getting dizzy spells and having trouble getting myself to bed on time... Either way thanks in advance for the responses!

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
I can't seem to work for more than 4-5 hours at a time which is proving to not be enough

Do you know anyone who studies for more than five hours a day? Most university students do not, from what I remember as a student.

So maybe the issue isn't the amount of time but the quality? How are your grades so far? Or have you not had any exams yet?

Does taking breaks help?

Well wouldn't those 4-5 hours be spent in class? Would there not be more assignments to be done after class is over? Giving another 1-3 hours to do homework?

Ummmm my grades... Depends on the course but usually 80+

Sometimes 70 if I was having an off semester and I didn't like the course

Retired

sometimes I wonder if a med that is a stimulant might be better for me

When the term stimulant, in a medication like Ritalin for example, is used in connection with the treatment of ADHD, it should be understood the medication works in a paradoxical way. It does not stimulate, but in fact seems to slow down the person, thereby controllng their ADHD symptoms.

Your best course of action would be to report what you are experiencing to your doctor, so it can be determined if there needs to be a dose adjustment or perhaps even a change in medication. It's not unusual for modifications to be made during a course of therapy to accomodate your particular body and/or brain chemistry.

How long have you been taking Strattera and are you taking any other medications along with the Strattera?

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Also, it may help to see a psychologist, especially for OCD, which can easily affect executive functioning in ways that may mimic ADD.

A great book on ADD is Delivered from Distraction, and there is an audio version which I enjoyed listening to:

Amazon.com: Delivered from Distraction: Getting the Most out of Life with Attention Deficit Disorder (9780739317624): John J. Ratey M.D., Edward M. Hallowell M.D.: Books

One of the authors is a psychiatrist with ADD.

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 PM ----------

Regarding your feelings of dizziness, it may help to monitor your blood pressure or blood sugar and see if it is low:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003093.htm

In any case, definitely mention it to your doctor(s), and dizziness can be a side effect of Straterra.

MWCT

Account Closed
It is possible that the dizziness is also coming from looking at a computer screen for too long. Not sure, but sometimes happens to me - I get eye strain at work from looking at my monitor for 6-7-8 hours a day. Looking away or standing up and taking a stretch once in a while could help.

As for the online courses - maybe you would do better in a classroom situation instead of taking a course online. I know it is more convenient, but everyone learns in different ways. I myself learn better from viewing or doing instead of reading for myself.

Just my thoughts.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.