More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
'It's finally our time': Jets fans go crazy as team wins 1st-ever playoff game
by Darren Bernhardt, CBC News
April 11, 2018

jets-fans.jpg
Winnipeg Jets fans celebrate their team's Game 1 win at home over the Minnesota Wild
on Wednesday as the NHL playoffs got underway. (THE CANADIAN PRESS/ Mike Sudoma)

There must be cracks in the foundation at Bell MTS Place. How can a building host that amount of noise and come away unscathed?

A capacity crowd of 15,321 inside the Winnipeg Jets' arena screamed to decibel levels equal to a chainsaw buzz Wednesday night as the home team scored its franchise-first playoff victory, 3-2 over the Minnesota Wild, as the Stanley Cup playoffs got underway.

"We should invite them all back, and the ones outside," Jets coach Paul Maurice said in a post-game interview.

Just outside the rattling walls of the arena, several thousand more fans echoed that volume at a street party where Game 1 of the Jets-Wild first-round matchup was broadcast on a giant screen.

"It's an energetic time for the city. We're buzzing. We're buzzing," said Jeff Knight as he walked out of the arena into the cacophony of cheers and honking horns.

"It's insane," Knight's brother, Chris, said about watching the game. "It was emotional. But now that we have that first one, the Wild are done. They're done. Now we're gonna settle in. It's gonna be easy now."

Down 2-1 at one point in the third period, the Jets stormed back, peppering Wild goalie Devan Dubnyk with 19 shots while limiting Minnesota to four. That's the character that propelled the Jets through the year and to a second-place finish in the regular-season standings, said Corey Knight, the third brother of the trio dressed in white suits and fedoras. "There's not that doom and gloom that there used to be when they got down by a goal. We have the depth this year and we have the goaltending, so every year we think, 'We got this.'""This team is a beauty," added Chris. "They give you something every game. I don't know how they do it."

Maurice agreed on that point in his post-game interview, telling reporters "there's an underlying confidence in our team that we can score goals." Unlike in the Anaheim playoff series in 2015 when "one goal was hard for us to scrape together," he said. Good teams find ways to score and we were able to do that tonight," said centre Adam Lowry.

Superstar winger Patrik Laine, playing in his first NHL playoff game, scored to tie the game 2-2 and couldn't help smile when recalling the crowd reaction. "The atmosphere was just like, the place exploded," he said.

The crowd was loud from the moment the Jets hit the ice and right through the Canadian anthem, raising the roof during the traditional shouts of "True North." But they found another piercing level when a photo of Kroppy was shown on the scoreboard above centre ice. Len Kropioski, better known as Kroppy, died in 2016 at age 98. The Second World War vet was a fan favourite and fixture at Jets home games with his salute during O Canada.

"That's the best warmup crowd we've ever had. They were wired from the start," said Maurice. "It's a great place to play."

Blizzard of white
The whiteout, a playoff tradition that started with the Jets 1.0 (before they flew to Phoenix in 1996), hasn't been seen in the city since that Anaheim series in 2015. That was a brief storm. The Jets were swept in four games.

But this is new territory.

After finishing with a record of 52-20-10, second in the NHL, three points behind the Nashville Predators, and setting all kinds of franchise records, the Jets are considered a playoff favourite.
So playoff-hungry fans made sure on Wednesday to make it a blizzard this time around. They came dressed in coveralls, tutus, suit jackets, dresses, wigs, masks, costume ears, helmets, beards, and a wide variety of other attire — and all white.

"I'm just loving the atmosphere here. We're trying to give it 100 per cent and get this crowd riled up," said Cody Laschyn, who, along with his friends, was decked out in a fighter pilot helmet and blonde Patrik Laine-like beard in honour of the superstar Jets winger. The three friends came for the game but first checked out the outdoor party that shut down Donald Street, with music, food trucks, and Jets merchandise available for sale.

"It's about time," said Justin Kiezick, who also started the night at the street party before moving inside for the game with friend Daniel Linklater, both dressed all in white and Santa Claus-type beards. "We're from Winnipeg. We're used to being beat up, that's why we're so resilient. Now it's finally our time."

The buzz has prompted the Jets to issue a permission slip for whiteout-wearing fans to take to work or school to be excused from their normal attire.

whiteout-permission.png

GaryQ

MVP
I don't get the "For Saskatchewan members" Winnipeg is in Manitoba! Unless I missed something somewhere :confused:

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I don't get the "For Saskatchewan members" Winnipeg is in Manitoba! Unless I missed something somewhere :confused:

Fixed.

In my defense, it's hard to keep those two provinces straight if you don't live there. From my personal experience, Manitoba and Saskatchewan are just vast expanses of not much to see between Ontario and Alberta.... :panic:

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.