More threads by making_art

making_art

Free Guided Meditations

UCLA Mindful Awareness Research Center
Sept 11 2014

For an introduction to mindfulness meditation that you can practice on your own, turn on your speakers and click on the "play" or "download" links. Podcasts are also available on iTunes U. Download iTunes ?

If you are new to meditation, start with the 5-minute Breathing Meditation?

click to download MARC mindful meditation podcasts

For a more in-depth class experience, take the 6-week Online Classes?

Oops. LOL! I meant to say to ask by PM. As if that wasn't strange enough... :D I just didn't wan't to post unsolicited material with religious components.

The most recomended standard introductory book to meditation is "Mindfluness in Plain English", by Henelopa Gunaratana. It's very down to earth and mostly secular.

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/personal-devel...rkshop_resources/Mindfulness_in_plain_english

People who want to go further can go in the direction of calm focus by reading this very small text by Leigh Brasington. It teaches how to reach the first deep "level" of calm focus, also known as first jhana:

Instruction for Entering Jhana

Later, you can listen to the 1 hour talk by Leigh Brasington about how to reach all the four "levels" of calm focus:

http://www.portlandinsight.org/talks/2010_Brasington/Leigh_Brasington_20100807_Jhanas_3.mp3

People can also go in another direction, with emphasis on liberating insight. This resource is truly excelent but has more religious content than would be ideal for this post. Having made the disclaimer, read with your own sensible judgement:

http://www.panditarama.net/ebooks/inthisverylife.pdf

GDPR

GDPR
The 'loving kindness' one still moves me to tears.Actually,it really makes me sob.Its been about 15 minutes since I listened to it and I am still crying.So should I continue listening to it if that's how its going to affect me each time?Is it really helping?

It makes me feel so many different things at the same time and then it turns to sobs.

MHealthJo

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
Hmm, that's a good question....

I wonder if it's something that is good to use when maybe you need to 'feel feelings', maybe when you've got plans to journal or something....? And maybe on another day when what you need to do is stay active and get things done, maybe don't choose it on that kind of day...? Not really sure though.

making_art

I'm not sure what is best for your situation LIT....but it is not uncommon when doing meditation for strong emotions to surface......the instructions were just to acknowledge the feelings without thinking about them.....

I had a similar situation happen with a different meditation that would cause me to sob so hard that I would have to leave the room. Because I was sitting with a group of people I did not want to disturb their meditation.

When doing this meditation alone I just let it happen.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.