More threads by amazingmouse

amazingmouse

Account Closed
I have completely recovered from a terrible GI infection just by waiting it out and keeping hydrated. Of course, it was not a life threatening disease to start with, and in mild cases no treatment is recommended any way, but my case wasn't mild. However, I just stayed home, decided on a deadline and it cleared on its own.
I'm so proud of my ability to be patient. This is the third time this year I am recovering from some kind of infection without taking Antibiotics. I took a lot of Antibiotics as a child and even as a young adult, due to going to the Doctor immediately. Sad truth is that most doctors would give Antibiotics for a cold, and before you know it, your body is getting too much unnecessary drugs.
I caught this last infection from the hospital, as usual, and while sick made a decision that I was never going to step there again. However, now feeling strong and healthy again, I am starting to miss work and planning to violate my promise. Hopefully, no more bugs for me. The thought that I am risking my health at work doesn't provide any comfort. Even though, I have started another activity recently. I still can't see myself quitting this line of work completely, so I am trying to wean it off gradually. In reality. I will keep compromising my health if I stay.

making_art

My doctor left me with a sinus infection for 6 mths and refused to use an antibiotic..... I became so sick that i was off work for 4 days and decided to go to a walk-in clinic directly before going to an ER. That dr prescribed an antibiotic specific for sinuses and the next 2 days was like Niagra falls draining from my head!

I was becoming very concerned about my brain which was telling me to go to the ER.

I have never had a sinus problem before... And have rarely had to use an antibiotic.

I traded that Dr for a Nurse Practitioner and Im very happy with the care she gives me. I no longer worry if my health is at risk and she told me if I have symptoms in my sinuses again I can see her same day and she would give me a script for an antibiotic.

Just wanted to add my experience because my fear was that this is the new trend...no antibiotics being prescribed?

MHealthJo

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
It's one of those hard topics where problems can happen if a person goes too far in one direction or another, at the wrong time.

I've certainly seen the amazing self-healing ability of the body, especially when a person is taking good care of themselves generally and is not under too large amounts of stress, etc.

And then there are times where there's a simpler and faster solution that you do need to solve a problem, but for some reason or another you don't get access to it easily enough!

It's great when you have the assistance of a professional with really good knowledge and you feel you can trust their judgment and that they are passionate about figuring out the best solutions for you.

amazingmouse

Account Closed
I couldn't reply immediately, but thanks to both of you for the insights. In case, it wasn't clear, my post wasn't meant to encourage or discourage anyone from the use of antibiotics or other prescribed medications. And, by all means, consulting a health professional is the only way to go, when one is sick. Every person and every case is different.
I am actually conservative in my views when it comes to health care. I don't believe in Naturopaths, Chinese Medicine, Reiki and so on. There was recently a case of a child who died from Meningitis after being treated by a naturopath in Canada. It was all over the media a few months ago, the case went to court and parents were found negligent.
So, antibiotics often save lives and are inevitable in most infections or in acute exacerbation of chronic conditions, that are bacterial in nature. I am glad that making art got healed after getting the right prescription.
In my personal story that I shared here, I just wanted to express my joy of being able to recover without even seeking advice or treatment. I expected that I would have to, but recovered faster than I thought. In my case the difference is that I knew what kind of complications to watch for, what would indicate going to the Doctor and what going to the hospital. I also knew the guidelines for taking care of my condition, and how long to wait before taking antibiotics. If I didn't have education and experience on these topics, I would have gone to see a professional right away.
I haven't noticed any trend in not prescribing antibiotics, actually most doctors I have seen over prescribe. Not treating bears a higher liability than treating. NPs are awesome, but very hard to find in urban areas.

---------- Post Merged at 09:20 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:14 AM ----------

And, yes, self-diagnosing and self-treatment is common among health professionals and not recommended. However, it worked for me in the past, and I haven't seen my family doctor for years now, and when I go to a walking clinic, I often get thrown a prescription for something in the fist 20 seconds, not even barely enough to say hi and bye to someone. Sometimes it is just worse than self treating.

GDPR

GDPR
My husband is the type of person that as soon as he gets any kind of illness he goes straight to the doctor and expects(and practically demands) an antibiotic,regardless what type of illness he has.He almost never tries to wait anything out.If I catch a bug,and it lasts 3 to 5 days,then I get better without seeing a doctor and he gets sick the next week with the same symptoms I had,he goes to the doctor.

The doctors he goes to comply and give him an antibiotic 95% of the time,usually the same one.It's to the point where they do not work when he has an illness where the antibiotic would actually be warranted.One doctor he had gave him the same antibiotic so often,for so many years that he developed severe intestinal problems.He(my husband) seems to think antibiotics are the answer for everything,and tbh,I don't bother trying to educate him anymore,it's pointless.I f his doctors stopped prescribing them,he would just find doctors that would.

My doctors do it differently.I only get prescribed one if it's absolutely necessary,which when I do see a doctor it's usually because I have tried everything else already and haven't improved or have got worse.They check to see the last time I received one,and they don't prescribe the same one within 6 months of each other.But,I don't expect( or demand) one,I let the doctor decide that.

I personally believe it's what doctor you see whether they are overprescribed,underprescribed or prescribed at all.I have been to doctors before that have asked me what I would like,ones that have thrown in 'extras'(would you like some cough medicine with codeine in it?I can write down that the otc isn't working for you,would you like this or that while I am at it?)and ones who don't prescribe at all.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.