More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Growing Through Divorce
Darlene Lancer, JD, MFT
Jul 8th 2009

Divorce ranks just above death in severity of stress and is often combined with other stressors, such as marital discord, serious financial problems, a move, single parenting, multiple losses and litigation, all at once. It's a life cycle crisis that presents a crucial period of increased vulnerability and heightened potential. With consciousness, the process can be edifying. Although not easy, it's extremely rewarding, because, in the long run you feel better and learn from the experience, so you don't have to repeat the same mistakes.

Divorce consists of several stages: Cognitive, emotional, physical, legal and spiritual. This order isn't usually what happens, and explains the "Divorce Court" melodrama - couples making the legal separation while they are still caught up in the drama of their relationship. They haven't separated emotionally, though they're physically apart. The emotional separation is the cornerstone for transformation and is my focus.

Usually, the family has lived with marital problems for some time. Discord may have increased or gone underground to maintain a cordial facade. Gradually one or both spouses become willing to risk the unknown and pain of divorce - it appears preferable to the pain they're already in.

The cognitive or mental separation isn't so much a decision to divorce, as a setting of intention, usually long preceding the actual decision. Generally, people set goals or a course of intent before they are emotionally and physically ready to carry them out, such as a job change or a move. The cognitive separation follows a period of frustration and unhappiness. Once the decision is verbalized, the coping behavior and degree of crisis experienced will vary depending on the degree of preparation. Naturally, it's optimal if the family can talk openly and problem-solve the anticipated changes and solutions. More often, there is high dysfunction and open communication never existed or has previously broken down. Where there's no talking, fear and anger intensify and reactivity escalates. If the decision wasn't mutually arrived at, the spouse left is less prepared and experiences greater anger and depression; the one leaving feels guilty. Confusion usually sets in, and roles, rules, and parenting deteriorate. The physical separation is simply that; however, couples may continually reunite until the emotional divorce is complete.

The legal dissolution is the socio-economic and cultural separation. As a lawyer and therapist, it is at once apparent that unresolved emotional conflicts fuel adversarial posturing. The legal divorce can be a long, drawn out battle in which couples stay connected through anger by breaking agreements and violating court orders, or by taking either intransigent or ever-changing positions, reflecting their inner conflict and inability to separate - trying to hold on, and at the same time let go. The spiritual connection is ephemeral, without time or spatial reference. Some suggest that once established, it's never severed, and remains following the emotional separation. Strong emotions are absent; instead, it's marked by feelings of unconditional love, caring, and vulnerability to the other person.

The task of emotional separation involves unbonding romantic and dependent aspects of the relationship, and mourning. This is the stage where growth and transformation unfold. It includes disengagement of games, role definitions, and family expectations, and understanding why you selected your partner, why you stayed, and the "dance" you do over and over that doesn't work. Growth comes from taking responsibility for the marital problems, rather than blaming, and finally changing that "dance." It means seeing your partner clearly and risking new behavior, which will undoubtedly meet resistance from your mate, since you're changing the dance steps and refusing to do the old routine. It is different for everyone, but some examples are a passive spouse getting angry, or a volatile partner good-humoredly walking away from an argument; asking for what you really want and need; doing something important for yourself despite your partner's objections; refusing to tolerate some unacceptable behavior of your spouse that you've complained about forever; taking a solo vacation; or refusing to do something you felt obligated to do, but have always resented. So in emotionally unbonding, people really do become different, in the sense that they have a choice of new responses and behaviors. The drama subsides and marital structure gradually falls away. Ideally, the physical and legal separation can then follow more smoothly.

If the unbonding process not successfully traversed, the emotional connections will undermine the couple's attempts to separate. Many couples are still "married" years after the formal divorce, if only to maintain contact through court battles, or alternatively ritualistically celebrating holidays together ("for the children's sake"). One such couple, divorced many years, lived in separate houses on the same property, but maintained sufficient distance through legal hostilities. Another lived as neighbors, because she needed to rescue him from his depressions, and he needed to drive her around.

The second part of working through the emotional divorce is mourning the losses that accompany divorce, including, anger, depression, and fear, a predominant emotion during transitions. Facing the unknown is fearful. Divorce represents loneliness, change of lifestyle, imagined losses of what might have been, and of memories of what once was; as well as real losses on every front, such as home, family, children, financial, and often friends and in-laws. It may entail a move to a different city or school, a job change, or a homemaker going back to school, or entering the work force for the first time. It also involves loss of identity, as a wife, a husband, and possibly as a parent. To successfully move on, each fear must be addressed and each loss mourned. Grief work can precede the physical and legal divorce and smooth the way.

It is helpful to contemplate the Chinese ideogram for crisis, representing both danger and opportunity. Loosening our attachments to the things we hold most dear allows for more space and flow within us, the possibility of new experiences, and the opportunity to meet as yet unknown parts of ourselves.

Darlene Lancer is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist and former attorney with a private practice in Santa Monica working with individuals and couples for more than twenty years. (See Darlenelancer.com). She specializes in issues related to relationship, work, addiction, and stress, depression, and pain. For consultation by appointment: 310-458-0016.

busybee

I am finding myself shedding uncontrollable tears at this time. Reading this and many other articles posted on this site have sustained me through some really difficult moments. I think I have shared before that I remained in my marriage for 29 years. On 25th April, it is Anzac Day in Australia but it would have been our 30th Wedding Anniversary. I knew I would be sad even though at the end of the day it was me who walked out of my marriage, my home and all the paraphernalia that goes with it. I really only have been alone since January 23 2010. My husbands words ringing in my ears, be careful what you wish for! I know that I am grieving. Grieving for the could have beens, have beens, and wish it had been. Self reflection, looking back, was it as bad as I thought it was. Was it in my mind. Was I a good person, wife, mother and....... so it goes on. The journey I am facing is leaving me feeling so distraught. I have never felt so lonely. Yes I have a few good female friends. They are all married. Being alone I pictured would be ............ not what it is. So many long hours to fill. I have tried dating websites to fill the void, immature I know but I left the marriage with such poor self esteem, I needed validation. It has been even more depressing. Poor choices and decisions. If I post my photo .......... nothing. How demoralising is that. Validation......... of all my husbands beliefs about me. I know self esteem issues. I know I should not rely on someone else to make me happy, But its like I dont know who I am, I dont know where to go. I work hard, but I dont want work to define who I am.

The loneliness is soo painful. I wake in the morning get ready for work, I am in professional mode .......... work hard, make decisions and choices and help others. But underneath I feel dead and loss of passion and grief. I am almost tempted ...................... to call my husband or persue unsafe relationships, just to be validated.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.