More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Gwyneth Paltrow talks postpartum depression
MSNBC
January 4, 2011

Gwyneth Paltrow continues to open up about her experience with postpartum depression following the birth of her second child.

?I felt like a zombie. I couldn?t access my heart. I couldn?t access my emotions. I couldn?t connect,? the actress told Good Housekeeping?s February issue, describing the time following the birth of her second child, Moses, in 2006. ?It was terrible, it was the exact opposite of what had happened when Apple was born. With her, I was on cloud nine. I couldn?t believe it wasn?t the same. I just thought it meant I was a terrible mother and a terrible person.?

The actress credits rocker husband Chris Martin for helping her identify the problem.

?About four months into it, Chris came to me and said, ?Something?s wrong. Something?s wrong.? I kept saying, ?No, no, I?m fine.? But Chris identified it, and that sort of burst the bubble,? the 38-year-old Oscar winner continued. ?The hardest part for me was acknowledging the problem. I thought postpartum depression meant you were sobbing every single day and incapable of looking after a child. But there are different shades of it and depths of it, which is why I think it?s so important for women to talk about it. It was a trying time. I felt like a failure.?

Gwyneth previously opened up about her battle with postpartum depression in her GOOP newsletter.

?When my son, Moses, came into the world in 2006, I expected to have another period of euphoria following his birth, much the way I had when my daughter was born two years earlier. Instead I was confronted with one of the darkest and most painfully debilitating chapters of my life,? the actress wrote in July 2010.

In more Gwyneth news, NBC announced on Tuesday that the Country Strong star will host Saturday Night Live on January 15, with musical guest Cee Lo Green.

CarlaMarie

OMG You all have heard so much from me already but this happened to me. My daughter was so easy and I was so happy. It was the best two and half years of my life and then my son was born. As he came out he broke my tail bone. It was a stressful time. I couldn't soothe him like I could soothe her. I was stressed I thought it was me. I felt guilt and shame. My biggest symptom was speeding racing thoughts. It was so bad. I stumbled on an artical in a parenting magazine and I had all the syptoms. I told my obgyn and I was imediately put on an antidepresant. He was just a month or so old at the time. What I didn't know was his nervous system was underdevolped and he had a sensory processing disorder. I noticed as time went by he wasn't developing normaly. Professionals did intervene and he did get the help he needed. He has overcome. He is an amazing kid today. Let's just say he learns diferently. He is dyslexic, he has Auditory motor disorder, he is very creative, compassionate, enthusiastic, social, funny, and thinks and does out the box. I let the shame and guilt go.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.