More threads by Been there Done that

I am NOT suicidal or homicidal but I have intrusive thoughts of overdosing on pills or stabbing others. I would never do this but I have been diagnosed with OCD and was wondering if this is OCD and do I need to be concerned? I would NEVER act on these thoughts so I am not a danger to myself or others. I will be seeing my psychologist on the 24th. Any input would be appresiated. Does anyone else experience this and how do you cope?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
That sort of intrusive thought or image is common in certain types of OCD. Interestingly, it usually represents NOT an urge to engage in the violent or harmful act but the exact opposite - fears about harm coming to self or loved ones and worries about how to keep everyone safe.

Thanks for the info. I bookmarked this for viewing every day. I am going to discuss with my psychologist(the one prescribing my meds) if any of these intrusive thoughts can be a result of the meds I am taking.
I am taking 150mg. of venflexamine(Effexor),2mg. of risperidone(Risperadal) 200mg. of lamotigrine(lamictal) and 20mg. of saphris. These are my psych meds.
For physical health I am taking 125mcg. of levothyroxin and 5mg. of amlodipine(thyroid and blood pressure meds)
I will be discussing the obsessive thoughts about stabbing others and overdosing on pills with my psychologist on the 22nd. Today is the 20th. I would NEVER stab anyone or overdose on pills. I am not depressed or angry. These intrusive thoughts are bugging me though.

Not that it will make you feel any better, but I have harm obsessions too. Like what if I lock one of my kids out of the house in the freezing cold. :( Or what if I burn the house down. And it goes on and on. So I guess it's pretty common.

chloe

I don't know if this fits this category but I can't seem to stop self harming. My life has many stresses and I am Bi Polar.....it is getting worse and do not want to go to hospital. Can someone please help?

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.