More threads by Retired


If a child reports hearing sounds causing him to need to speak in a very loud voice, should the possibility of a psychotic disorder be investigated if an Ear Nose and Throat consultation is negative?

Is there a minimum age of onset for psychotic disorders where auditory hallucinations might occur?

What other avenues should a parent investigate when a child experiences unexplained sounds?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Assuming hearing is normal, I would most definitely recommend evaluation by a child psychiatrist.

There is no minimum age for hallucinations or psychosis as far as I know, although it's probably more common in later adolescence or older.


You might also want to suggest a neurological work-up, along with an ENT work-up, Steve. There are several things that could cause someone to hear "sounds" and not all of them involve auditory hallucinations. There are physical causes that need to be ruled out.
Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.