More threads by Christie00

Hi I'm Christie, I'm 29 year old and from Vancouver, Canada.

I believe I've had anxiety all my life but was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder at 25. I also suffer from social phobia. I've been on Effexor 225mg (just recently increased) for 2 years now.

I've had good results with Effexor, it makes my anxiety tolerable I guess, but I still struggle with this disorder daily. I don't have friends, haven't had a boyfriend in over 2 years, (most of my relationships with men are dysfunctional and unhealthy anyways). I feel like I just suck in general with personal relationships.

Going through a bit of a situation at the moment. I was off work for about 2 months and receiving unemployment money to live off of. It was nice being off work and having hardly any anxiety but I started to miss working and having a reason to get up in the morning. So I got a job working in an office. I'm always extremely anxious starting new jobs and just being around new people in general terrifies me. I asked my doctor for some Xanax, she hates Xanax because it's so addictive and only gave me 7 pills and told me to only take it if necessary, but I ended up taking it 2x a day, just cuz they work so well and ran out by the end of the week and I couldn't get anymore. I could feel the anxiety come back, the horrible feelings and racing thoughts, it all of a sudden felt like I couldn't handle anything, I felt extremely stressed, negative and I lacked motivation. I ended up quitting the job after one week, even though my boss tried to convince me to stay.

I assumed I would get to go back on unemployment, however they told me it doesn't work like and I just screwed myself over. So I have to find a new job fast!!! The past 2 days I haven't left my bed or showered, just feeling depressed , anxious, stressed and crappy about my life. Last Thursday I got drunk and texted my mom this long text about what she did to me as a child and how it's effected me today rant (which is never a good idea with her) now she isn't talking to me.

Anyways sorry for the long vent... Thanks for reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Try talking with your doctors or therapist about the possibility of applying for "Medical EI" rather than regular EI and possibly looking into other government disability programs in your area, as a start. Medical EI requires only confirmation from a health professional that you are currently unable to work, so the regulations for regular EI don't apply as far as I know.

Then, as a second step, try to get a referral to a psychiatrist or therapist for anxiety management skills and strategies. You might also see a psychiatrist for a consult regarding your medication to see if there is one or a combination that would would better for you.

But medication can't do all the work... that's why I suggest active therapy as well.

The problem with anxiety disorders is that they make you want to create a safe place where your anxiety is more manageable. Unfortunately, in the absence of therapy and appropriate medication, that safe place can soon become a prison.

Hi David, thanks for your reply.

I thought about talking to my doctor about medical EI but I kind of think the longer I'm off of work the harder it will be for me to go back. I think I just need to suck it up and do it. I do think I need a psychiatrist or therapist. I was hoping that if I found a good job with extended health, then I could get my therapy sessions covered.

What do you mean by active therapy? Like exercise? I do go the gym often and I try and get out and socialize, just not lately.

My safe place is definitely my apartment and without working, I can go days without leaving it.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
No I just meant regular ongoing therapy. You might also see if there is an anxiety disorder therapy group or support group in your area. Generally, hospital outpatient programs are covered by government insurance.

YOu can collect medical unemployment benefits ok if your anxiety does not permit you to work it is not regular EI ask your doctor about it until you are able to get back to work even part time.
Also maybe your past employer will take you back knowing your anxiety and will work with you to give you shortened hours
Your regular doctor can direct you into outpatient therapy that goes weekly or even longer to help you deal with your illness
Just want to say hi and welcome you to Psychlinks as well

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.