More threads by Kanadiana

Kanadiana

Thanks for the very quick reply ;) ... the doc is where I got that reading. The highest in the past was about 140/? ... a couple of years ago. I was just wondering how serious/dangerous my new reading might be. My sister had mini-stroke TIA??? a couple of years ago ... unfortunately HBP runs in the maternal side and I was hoping I'd by-pass that. Guess not !

From what I understand 170/100 is not healthy and a stroke waiting to happen. Given the level of stressful events you have experienced recently I would understand your hbp. Please do take care of yourself! Keep us posted.

Kanadiana

PS: i don't know how high my sisters was when she had her TIA ... and am not about to call her LOL Sibling stuff ... I gotta be in the right mood for her as does everyone else.

Kanadiana

comfortzone said:
From what I understand 170/100 is not healthy and a stroke waiting to happen. Given the level of stressful events you have experienced recently I would understand your hbp. Please do take care of yourself! Keep us posted.

Ouch ...

I have to go in for tons of bloodwork and labwork and am seeing a rheumatologist soon as they call me for an appointment. Also have to have a mammogram ... have a nice brand new big fat lymph node in my armpit (a new one which concerns me) I'm not worried about breast cancer or lymphoma as I've had chronically enlarged nodes for years now and a biopsy proved to be benign a few years back ... probably due to inflammatory process of the RA. They even sent the node to a 2nd pathologist for a 2nd opinion because it's hard to differentiate betweem follicular hyperplasia (benign) and folliculr lymphoma (bad news)

Regards stress ... hmmmm ... truthfully these days i feel more 'numb" or some such than stressed.

I hope that it is something easily resolved for you. You might feel numb but it might increase your hbp too. My prayers are with you as always.

Kanadiana

Thanks Bill, i do appreciate your caring ....

I think I'm too tired lately to stress too much. Don't have the energy LOL Feeling numb is more like meaning "can't even think" right now.

Wish i could give my maternal side medical history back to it LOL All my sisters now have HBP too ... I thought I'd either skip it or not get there for a few years yet. Wrong I guess.

Must catch some sleep soon ... you sleep well too ;)

ThatLady

170/100 is definitely too high. Hopefully, your doctor will prescribe medication to bring that pressure down and keep it under control. Sometimes, it seems like problems just pile up on us, doesn't it? I know you've been really stressed lately, and now this. Hugs, hon. Please keep us informed.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Just be aware that blood pressure isn't static - it varies widely over the course of a day depending on what you're doing. If it's 170/100 over several readings, it's definitely something to take seriously. If it's momentary, get it checked out anyway but it may not be anything to worry about.

Also note that most of those drug store BP machines are erratic in their readings. Again, if you get a few high readings there, get it checked out by a doctor but don't panic - it may be the machine rather than you.

Kanadiana

David Baxter said:
Just be aware that blood pressure isn't static - it varies widely over the course of a day depending on what you're doing. If it's 170/100 over several readings, it's definitely something to take seriously. If it's momentary, get it checked out anyway but it may not be anything to worry about.

Also note that most of those drug store BP machines are erratic in their readings. Again, if you get a few high readings there, get it checked out by a doctor but don't panic - it may be the machine rather than you.

Hi David,

Thanks for your input. The high readings came from Doc's office visit ... next appointment is in 2 weeks, when all my lab results will be back, and he'll do another reading then, as well. I've been suspecting its quite high quite often lately, from symptoms ... and yes, I know pressure is variable in a week/day/hour dependant on whatever ;) In my case, I suspect it isn't temporary and that doc will want me to take something to help lower it. I've been feeling 'symptoms" for quite some time now ... it ain't easing off.

I don't know of any drugstore with a BP machine in the neighborhood so haven't been able to monitor that way.

Anyways ... the good news is I'm plugged into a docs care properly again.

I mostly need to get my pain and inflammation under control right now ... have had it with being a stoic. Sleep and all are disrupted from pain. Losing too much mobility and partner has to help me with almost everything these days with simple things most take for granted ... and am furiously resistant to asking for help most times ... but ... gotta give in. In appreciation of my partner, it's hard for him to watch me struggle with dressing or getting up and down from sitting, or trying to open a door or a tap ... or any number of things. I look forward to seeing the rheumatologist ... so we can go over everything and make a plan thats best for me and my problems.

Am totally bummed out to find out that physio is not covered in Ontario ... :( ... which means I won't be able to do it ... my left hand/WRIST/arm is almost completely imobile from the elbow down through the hand ... can no longer do the "hands out, palms up" thing ... THAT I would like to improve most!!! hopefully the doc can recommend some exercises etc for home that will help.

It's really easiest for me to do most things myself when it comes to stairs or getting up/down from sitting/laying ... "helping hands" just doesn't work. I find myself having fantasies of those recliners that lift and dump people out of them standing LOL Oh yes ... and "clap on" LOL

Boy oh boy ... blow-by-blow ... LOL .... of all my little problems ... guess I had to ventilate some of it here.

Enough whining for one post ...

Kanadiana

Hi folks,

I thought I'd let you all know I'm still kickin' LOL ... have just been absorbed elsewhere ... doc's follow-up is coming up and I know he'll find my BP still misbehaving. I've a;lso read and was told by the pharmacist that anti-inflammatories RAISE blood pressure (as does Ventolin though I rarely need to use that) so I've chosen to NOT take the anti-inflamms until I do the follow-up. I want to talk about the wisdom and all about anti-inflamms (I have other side effects from them too) as long as my BP is so 'up" ... I have noticed when in pain and when breaking down to pop the naproxen (250 mg?) that often my ears ring. i think it's connected ... so choose to suffer the pain and swellings and just do several hot baths a day which actually does wonders for movement (for a LITTLE while) and comfort. This cold weather really effects me. I think muscular / tendons is the worst effect right now. I'll handle it until Wed docs app't.

Other than that, trying not to stress and keeping stress levels down as much as possible ... and cookin' up plans (partner involved in helping me, follow through I hope happens... I suspect it will, but past record scares me :( )

Will probably be relocating to BC again ... same small community as my eldest daughter and her hubby and grandsons (5 and 2) ... Can't leave til money available ... which I'm assured will be available and given to me Feb ... so by March 1st ... I should be moved. Somewhere else ;)

I think in a pinch i know a group of folks who would probably try to get a "help our friend" fund going to help me leave/restablish. Awesome to think they'd go so far ;) Some are across the ocean! My partner would end up deeply publically embarrassed though, so hopefully THAT won't happen ... his follow-through (after all) will UP respect in a number of quarters ... including mine. This is his opportunity to make it right this time ... I keep fingers crossed and hopes optimistic but think about possible Plan B's ... ;)

I hope all of you are well ...

By the way ... I AM sorry i'm not a very reliable member for posting etc ... I find it so very difficult to keep up to my online comms ... I do when i can.

Take care all of you.

K.

Good to know you are still kicking! I hope everything works out and that life delivers your dreams to you. Please don't worry about when you can't make it here. We all are aware of how difficult it can be to get here when so much is going on. We are just glad you gave us an update. Take care and best wishes,

ThatLady

It's good to hear from you, hon. I do hope you'll keep us informed as to what the doc has to say. I hate to think of you having to bear all this pain without some kind of relief. Hopefully, the doctor will be able to come up with something that will help you.

Hi Kanadiana,
So happy to hear from you, you've been in my thoughts, I hope everything works out for you please keep in touch, sending you love and hugs from across the big ocean!

Kanadiana

Thanks a lot you folks!!! It was really nice to find your nice and caring replies ... nice community of regulars who actively post :)

Will definately keep you posted after I talk and go over everything with my doc. Something MUST be done for my pain and how disabling it is to my body ... would be nice to get the right meds and combo's so that they don't kill me LOL I ain't ready to leave yet! Need more time with my kids/grandkids etc. LOL

By the way ... I verified that my sisters stroke (TIA) happened at 190/? ... if I'm hitting bad both sides at 170/100, that ain't good and should be lowered asap with our maternal family history waht it is. Us kids got most of the maternal genetic health problems. I worry some, and just try not to stress out until I see doc. Watching foods and creating better environmental ;) ) easier moods too ;) ... for after all ... stressing doesn't change anything any quicker LOL

Thanks again ... and I hope you all are doing well!

hugs to all.

Kanadiana

The new forum software is looking pretty good :)

I have another blood pressure question ...

Why would the blood pressure reading show two different readings left arm/right arm???
I'm totally mystified and the rheumatologist didn't have time to explain this to me. She was
just startled and we had no time to talk.

Thanks ... K.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Hmmm... that's a new one on me. I know my doctor always takes it from the same arm and I have my own machine at home where again I was instructed to always use the same arm. I don't know if that means it's not uncommon to get slightly different reasons or what exactly.

Was there much of a difference?

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.