More threads by oystagoymp

Similar threads

Recovered Trauma Memories and Hypnosis by Brian Thompson, Ph.D. Nov 1st 2010 Not too long, I came across a request on a professional listserv for a therapist experienced in hypnosis to help someone recover "possible" childhood memories of abuse. This request contained some very serious misunderstandings about abuse memories and hypnosis; as a consequence, I thought it was worth writing about the topic in greater depth. Perhaps the place to start is addressing what we actually know about...
Replies
Views
Good question. My own research/review into that question many years ago was that it required a level of suggestibility, and that people varied considerably along the dimension of suggestibility. The least suggestible individuals seemed to be more or less "immune" to hypnosis. However, as I said that was many years ago and I am by no means an expert on hypnosis. I don't know what the current thinking would be.
Replies
Views
Hello Kimmy, I tried it, it worked for me. I used a book called A Practical Guide to Self-Hypnosis by a Melvin Powers, it was some years ago so not sure if the book is still around. ---------- Post added later and automatically merged ---------- It seems the book is available for free now through this site A Practical Guide to Self-Hypnosis by Melvin Powers - Project Gutenberg
Replies
Views
I have had hypnosis just once and found it helpful, very calming, and would certainly like to try it again if I had a referral. :dimples: Mari
Replies
Views