• Quote of the Day
    "There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered."
    Nelson Mandela, posted by Daniel

prayerbear

After years of being judged and treated as inferior by other people in the church for having a mental illness, I found in my church a special service for the developmentally disabled. The people have mental illness, behaviour problems are autistic and the list goes on!

I am so happy to fit in a church where others have the same mental (and of course, physical) disabilities just like me! I got so excited to be included with people just like me and I don't have the "stigma" of being judged just because I have OCD, PTSD, and mood disorder. I am very happy to finally belong!

I always felt inferior to people in "normal" services and I did not DARE mention having a mental illness. They act like it is something I did wrong, have a "demon spirit" or I don't "have enough faith" I am free from that stigma in my special church. So don't give up on hope.

I am also going to check out mental health support groups through the Tulsa Alliance for the Mentally Ill and find more friends there. No man is an island-everyone is really wanting to belong somewhere and be accepted. A lot of people are looking for friends so how can I be lonely?

miss ex-clean(recovering OCD and cleaning addictions):dance:

that's wonderful news, prayerbear! :goodjob: it must make an enormous difference in your life, to just be accepted, regardless of your emotional struggles. after all, you're just as human as any of us :)

Top Bottom