More threads by sister-ray

I visited a site yesterday that said I needed Java to view it, i was then redirected to microsofts site and then to the Java site, i downloaded some updates and now Windows Live Messenger is playing up, Do I need java? I dont quite understand what it is, and I also thought I already had it, can someone advise/help please? Thanks

Retired

My understanding is that JAVA is a scripting language that allows certain features of some websites to be seen within your browser. From time to time, JAVA needs to be updated, though I like to use the "custom install" to prevent unwanted toolbars or foreign languages to be installed.

If you were directed to Microsoft Update, then MS updates will sometimes change settings within your browser to favor their products.

Messenger can be turned off from within Internet Explorer and if it automatically starts you may wish to start Messenger and check the settings within the program.

Also check the "Startup" shortcut in Start |Programs.

My own method when dealing with automatic updates is to always select custom install.

Usually no changes are necessary, but often enough software companies will try to install self serving software such as toolbars or other unwanted features on your computer.

I want to control what is installed on my system...I try to practice safe computing.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
The Java issue is a convoluted one because Windows originally shipped with Microsoft Java - Sun then sued Microsoft for copyright infrigement and as part of the settlement I think Microsoft no longer updates their version. Thus, if a web application requires a specific version of Java, you will probably need to download and install the Sun version and then keep it updated.

Frankly, I rarely find a need for it in sites I visit (note that Java and javascript are not the same thing - many sites use Javascript for their webpages, including this one, but only a few require Java).

I shall look into this after christmas as to whether I need to download anything else, the site that required it worked after I had done the updates, its just Windows Messenger has been behaving odd, maybe its just a coincidence, thanks both for your help:)

Retired

note that Java and javascript are not the same thing - many sites use Javascript for their webpages, including this one, but only a few require Java

Thanks for that clarification. I was not aware of that.

So the periodic update I see would be Sun Javascript, right?