More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Kurt Vonnegut's Battle With Depression
by Deborah Gray
Thursday, April 12, 2007

Kurt Vonnegut Jr., the American literary icon whose writing is often described as dark and satirical, died Wednesday at the age of 84. Vonnegut, whose mother committed suicide, suffered from depression and himself attempted suicide in 1984.

What struck me as I read the obituaries was that almost without exception, his battle with depression and suicide attempt were noted. There's no question in my mind that twenty years ago, there would have been no emphasis, and probably no mention, of either.

But in the last decade or so, we have grown accustomed to celebrities revealing their battles with depression. Some of the revelations have not exactly been revelations (Robin Williams is bipolar? I never would have guessed!) and some have been a complete surprise, like Ashley Judd, who seemed to have it all together.

While one can't help wondering if in many cases these disclosures are the new version of celebrities confessing to addiction, which was fashionable in the seventies and eighties, the upshot is still positive. The more depression is brought out into the open, and the more it's mentioned almost incidentally, as in Vonnegut's obituaries, the closer we get to eradicating the stigma that is attached to it.

Similar threads

After Treatment Comes a New Battle, and Cancer Patients Aren’t Prepared By The Learning Network, in The New York Times June 21, 2022 This essay, by Emerson Riter, age 15, from The Masters School in Dobbs Ferry, N.Y., is one of the Top 11 winners of The Learning Network’s Ninth Annual Student Editorial Contest, for which we received 16,664 entries. We are publishing the work of all the winners and runners-up over the next week, and you can find them here as they post. After Treatment Comes...
Replies
Views
Going to Battle with OCD is a 'Colossal Struggle' PsychCentral August 11, 2013 I was quiet in high school. Some may have described me as a loner, but I did have friends. I was awkward and scared that I would be judged harshly if I spoke my mind. Some things that gave me comfort during the first years of being diagnosed with obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) were comedy (The Late Show with David Letterman), literature (Kurt Vonnegut), and music (Pearl Jam). Society?s influence is at...
Replies
Views
?Even when your thighs touch:? Miley channels Marilyn in 'fat' battle by zosia bielski, Globe and Mail Monday, November 14, 2011 Miley Cyrus took to Twitter over the weekend to shame those who?ve called her fat in recent months. ?By calling girls like me fat this is what you?re doing to other people,? Ms. Cyrus tweeted on Saturday, attaching a photo of a severely emaciated woman. ?i love MYSELF & if you could say the same you wouldn?t be sitting on your computer trying to hurt...
Replies
Views
Tryptophan, Tyrosine May Battle Early Postpartum Depression By MICHELE G. SULLIVAN, Clinical Psychiatry News March 18, 2011 Beefing up a pregnant woman?s diet with tryptophan and tyrosine might one day help avoid the "baby blues" ? or even a downward slide into postpartum depression. The proteins ? found naturally in eggs, poultry, milk products, and some nuts and seeds ? are important precursors of the mood-regulating brain monoamines dopamine, serotonin, and norepinephrine. Boosting...
Replies
Views
Overcoming tabloid medicine - an uphill battle by Talya Miron-Shatz, Ph.D., Psychology Today Blogs January 31, 2011 Teaching consumer behavior at one of the world's leading business schools and studying medical decision making don't seem to go hand in hand. While the latter is intended to increase health and wellbeing the former is, at times, shady, or at least carries the potential for ethical transgressions. As Kyle, one of my students, recently put it "but by teaching us all the biases...
Replies
Views