More threads by Norin

Norin

Hello everybody,
I don't know if my topic really fits this section of the forum, but I was wondering which section between this one and the memory one was the most appropriate, since my problem really concern both of them... Attention and memory (well, this is my own deduction... I'm planning to seek my doctor as soon as possible, a bit hard since I've been operated recently and can't really move much).

So... I realized recently that I had major issues remembering things. As far as I can remember, it pretty much started this summer when a new friend of mine made me realize that I search my words quite often... Too often. I don't know if my problem is really from this summer or from before, I never really thought I might have a very bad memory... I got to university by using some weird logical patterns along with quite some luck... This made me get the required marks to go to the grade above... After my friend told me this, I started to pay attention to my lack of memory... It's simply insane.

I seem to forget simply everything. Not only do I often forget words, but also dates... Dates that I know I have learned since they are crucial in the subject I am currently studying at school.

There is a matter that really hurted me recently too... I realized that I was extremely bad at orienting myself on the roads. I analyzed this particular subject and found that it was mostly a memory thing... By talking with my girlfriend [which have a very sense of directions], I also realized that I was not paying attention to what was surrouding me at all. Then I started to think about the attention issue... Realized that it was worse than I thought. I really don't pay attention to stuff around me, not only on the road, but everywhere. My parents could tell me something, it would be like as if the information would never reach my brain at all. Two days ago, I was playing a video game with my girlfriend... There was some dialog between the characters and it would happen really often that I had to ask her "Hmm, what did they just say?" right after the dialog... or I'd miss out some very important information.

I started to wonder... Was I simply born to be dumb? Is being able to memorize lots of stuff and pay close attention something we are born with? Or is it something one must learn and can improve well?

I've read on some websites that the memory can be trained... Some seems to say that it can be trained with exercises, others says memory is far from being like a muscle and it is more a method thing... How to know what to trust and how to proceed exactly? And if it can be improved, but only through some special methods... I can't imagine how learning some methods like linking can help to remember specific words? As for attention... I'm extremely scared to be affected by ADHD... To me, it would be like as if I was simply ... something... broken ... weaker than normal.

I am someone with big goals and always aiming for the top... This situation is extremely unlivable... I'm starting to lose confidence in my capacities, and hope... I'm also thinking of stopping the University because I don't see the point to continue if I can't reach the seats I want. (Currently doing a bachelor in business administration, but my goal was to go in law afterward... Good luck to have much success there without good memory and attention)

If someone can help me to know what to do to ... I don't know... Develop a good memory and attention... I'd gladly listen.

Thanks all

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
I'm planning to seek my doctor as soon as possible, a bit hard since I've been operated recently and can't really move much).

Hi Norin. You had surgery this summer? Is that what you mean by been operated recently?

So... I realized recently that I had major issues remembering things. As far as I can remember, it pretty much started this summer when a new friend of mine made me realize that I search my words quite often... Too often. I don't know if my problem is really from this summer or from before, I never really thought I might have a very bad memory... I got to university by using some weird logical patterns along with quite some luck... This made me get the required marks to go to the grade above... After my friend told me this, I started to pay attention to my lack of memory... It's simply insane.

I would speak to your family doctor or even the surgeon who performed your surgery to ask about what you are experiencing. It is always a good idea to follow up with your doctors with any new symptoms you may have following surgery.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
. I'm also thinking of stopping the University because I don't see the point to continue if I can't reach the seats I want. (Currently doing a bachelor in business administration, but my goal was to go in law afterward... Good luck to have much success there without good memory and attention)
Even if what you have is ADHD, there are treatments available. And, certainly, there are law students, medical students, and PhD students with ADHD.

Jazzey

Account Closed
Yes, if you do indeed have a learning disability, there are strategies to help you cope with them. This wouldn't be a sentence of the end of an academic pursuit.

Why not seek a psychologist trained in learning disabilities and get properly diagnosed?

Norin

Hi Norin. You had surgery this summer? Is that what you mean by been operated recently?

I would speak to your family doctor or even the surgeon who performed your surgery to ask about what you are experiencing. It is always a good idea to follow up with your doctors with any new symptoms you may have following surgery.
The surgery I've had is not linked with my trouble... I was in this state before this.

As I've said, I want to seek a psychiatrist as soon as possible... But it's kinda hard when walking to my computer chair is hard [not even 1m from my bed...]

Also, ADHD is one thing ... but my bad memory must be considered too. When I try hard enough, I can focus on things a bit [if I am not too tired... I've been sleeping 3-4 hours a day for the whole summer] but it's really hard, and even when I do so, I forget things afterward :panic:

Also, I'm more particulary afraid of not being able to reach the top of my profession than not being able to practice it... To enter law school, I just need average marks... But shining at practicing it is quite another story... Especially with a bad memory and attention...

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
I've been sleeping 3-4 hours a day for the whole summer
That would clearly affect cognition, and therefore, I assume, memory processing.

What is causing your insomnia? For most people, it's stress-related.

As I've said, I want to seek a psychiatrist as soon as possible... But it's kinda hard when walking to my computer chair is hard [not even 1m from my bed...]
If need be, a family member can schedule the appointment on your behalf.

In any case, contacting your family doctor could be a first step.

Norin

Yes, my mom had an appointment with our family doctor tomorrow and I'll go with her to see if I can speak with him about my issue.

As for the 3-4h of sleep, it's mostly because of my life style... I had to wake up at 6h AM each day and was back at home by ~4h PM... But my girlfriend was working till 11h PM, so to have some time with her I was going to bed by 2-3h AM...

However, I'm not sure that it is really the main problem... I recently started to sleep more and I don't see any difference...

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.