More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Mad World
by Robert T. Mulle, Trauma & Mental Health Report
September 10, 2017

Mad World by Jennifer Ann is a hauntingly beautiful cover of the 1982 Tears for Fears song by the same name. The lyrics describe the feelings of futility and loneliness experienced by a young person suffering from depression. It also expresses a frustration with the apparent insignificance of life and the pressure to conform to societal norms.

MHealthJo

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
I have gaps in my awareness of certain music eras, and hyper-knowledge/interest in other genres or time periods. I was only aware of this song as a version by Gary Jules released into the charts in 2001. I thought it was beautiful, but I had not realised it was a cover until now!

Now that I look at other Tears for Fears songs that I've always heard here and there but did not know who the artist was, I realise they have a pattern of really meaningful lyrics and feelings. I will have to check them out properly....

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I have heard several versions of this song. I had no idea that it originated with Tears For Fears either. That wasn't a band (or even a type of band) that I paid much attention to.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.