More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Many Christian pastors dismiss mental illness
By LiveScience Staff
Wed., Oct. 15, 2008

Study: A third of those who sought church help told disorder was spiritual

In a study of Christian church members who approached their church for help with a personal or family member's diagnosed mental illness, researchers found that more than 32 percent were told by their pastor that they or their loved one did not really have a mental illness.

The problem was solely spiritual in nature, they were told.

Here's the thing: Other studies have found that clergy, and not psychologists or other mental health experts, are the most common source of help sought in times of psychological distress.

"The results are troubling because it suggests individuals in the local church are either denying or dismissing a somewhat high percentage of mental health diagnosis," said study leader Matthew Stanford, professor of psychology and neuroscience at Baylor University in Texas. "Those whose mental illness is dismissed by clergy are not only being told they don't have a mental illness, they are also being told they need to stop taking their medication. That can be a very dangerous thing."

The results, based on surveys of 293 individuals, were published in the journal Mental Health, Religion and Culture.

Baylor researchers also found that women were more likely than men to have their mental disorders dismissed by the church.

In a subsequent survey, Baylor researchers found the dismissal or denial of the existence of mental illness happened more in conservative churches, rather than more liberal ones.

All of the participants in both studies were previously diagnosed by a licensed mental health provider as having a serious mental illness, such as bipolar disorder and schizophrenia, prior to approaching their local church for assistance.

I have had so many ignorant "leaders" of churches tell me parents that their illness is due to a spirit or that they are not spiritual enough or that somehow they lack self-control.

At this old cult church they insisted that I go off my Paxil and I did, feeling condemned, then I went through a nervous breakdown with severe depression and could not function. I did not know that I was bipolar.

I have had Catholic and Christian psychologists who have helped me pave my way to increased self-esteem and feeling like a human being! (I used to feel like a freak!) I love psychology and what it has done for me and I don't push my beliefs on others!In fact, when people are mentally ill or severely distressed I personally refer them to Family&Children's servives and OU psychiatry, and OSU psychiatry.

I pray more than those religious freaks at my old churches! I even told them that I pray for 4-6 hours a day in tongues! They had the nerve to tell me to limit it to 5 minutes! I looked up cultwatch.com and emailed all this info to them to show this "Charasmatic " church that this is them! I am quite outraged by these "so called" Christians that tell me that if I am mentally ill I am somehow "demonized".

I prayed and it was revealed to me that this is a physical abnormality in my brain and I can't help it. The religious people I would like to shake them by the teeth. I am repulsed by how many people automatically assume that they are better than I am.I am sorry-I don't feel inferior b/c I take 4 different psychiatric medications for OCD, bipolar II , and PTSD.

The only church I know of I told the pastor's wife of my illness and the pastor's wife in the disabled church and they really accepted me which really healed me of a few hurts over the years. But this is only one church in 36 years! I wish we can come foward and say "Hey, this is who I am and I am not ashamed. Truthfully, I like me and who cares what others really think?

I also stay home on Sundays if my mood is too high or too low or that the Serequal is making me sleepy!

Not all Christians are stuck up, but I would surely like to kick a few in the pants and deflate their enormous ego!

prayerbear
(I collect everything bear, porcelain, teddy and the bears are taking over the house!)

stargazer

Does this occur because of the clergy's orientation, lack of understanding or self serving interests?

That's a really good question. As a person who has attended Christian churches for the better part of 25 years - including conservative churches - I would think it mostly a matter of orientation, with a lack of understanding thrown in to boot.

The pastor might understand the visible variables of a person's illness, and how that person might have to come to terms with the consequences of his or her moral actions; but might not understand how many of these actions are based on a condition, and as such do not stem from conscious choices on the part of the that person. From that vantage point, the pastor is more likely to view the person's actions as indicative entirely of a moral issue, and not at all of a medical one.

I doubt it has to do with self-serving interests, although that's only my subjective experience.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.