More threads by Jackie

Retired

Shuttered,

Thank you for sharing that information about the TV program. Hopefully it will be telecast someday in North America.

Please continue to post any items of interest on Tourette.

Do you have a personal connection to Tourette?

I have a strong personal interest in the disorder, as I have Tourette.

Retired

Unfortunately it cannot be seen in North America, so we'll be looking forward to any reviews, reports, and comments.

:thankyou: ....for the reminder, shuttered.

Jackie

Heres a review Tourettes - I Swear I Can?t Help It Review:

I actually remembered seeing the original documentary in 2001! A very good update, well made, and I found it a bit emotional at times.

Greg for me seemed to have the hardest childhood with Tourettes, suffering screaming fits, seizures, where he could only move his eyes. Now he was at college, accepted by all and also in a band, playing drums, he said he had had only one day free from Tourettes and that was the best day of his life, he was hoping for more of those. He was hopeful about meeting a girl and his future even with Tourettes. Although his life was still hard he seemed to me to be doing well and was intregrating in the outside world without too many problems.

John had got along well too, since the first documentary, but I felt his frustration and isolation. He got very upset in one part. He said he had his house, his dog, his job, adopted family, The Tourettes Association and friends but his Tourettes had stopped him finding a partner and having children. The one thing he really wanted!

Throughout the course of the documentary we saw how bad it was. He thumped his adopted mom in the face, making her nose bleed, and this was in the middle of the supermarket! He thumped his best mate whilst he was driving and neally caused a accident, and this had happened before, we saw his smashing stuff and spitting when eating and generally hitting out due to the tics,, he even had trouble crossing the road, this was acompanied with really bad swearing and shouting. All this had stopped him finding someone to love. He even said it would be nice just to have a hug and someone to hold, but he might even hit out when doing that. I really felt for him, all he could do was apologise to people, though these people where his long time friends and took it all in their stride.

I could write a bit more but am pressed for time! I do hope John finds someone to love as he is a real nice guy, his story actually touched me the most out of the two.

If I find anymore reviews I will post them:)

Retired

Thank you for sharing a review of what must have been a very interesting program.

As you probably are aware, not everyone diagnosed with Tourette experiences the severity of the symptoms depicted in the program, but these depictions do raise public awareness to the disorder.

Regarding the story of John, it should be noted that Tourette need not be an obstacle to finding a life partner, and hopefully he will not give up.

If anyone else has recently seen this or any other documentary on Tourette Syndrome, please share your comments and reviews.

Jackie

Regarding the story of John, it should be noted that Tourette need not be an obstacle to finding a life partner, and hopefully he will not give up.

Some of Johns friends from The Tourettes Group had found partners and were very happy together so your right. Though I think from what John said this made him even more isolated because he had not yet found anyone yet and he felt left out.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.