More threads by Trish

Trish

I'm a 38yr old female. I was also looking for someone to talk to and thought this might be easier than talking to someone face to face. I am also a non compliant manic depressive. I am looking for someone to help me fix my family before it's too late. But I'm not totaly sure it isn't. I need help very, very desperately!!!!! Please help me if you can.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Welcome to PsychLinks online, Trish.

1. why are you a "non-compliant manic depressive"?

2. what is it about your family that needs fixing?

Trish

1. I don't understand it myself. I take them for quite some time and then for one reason or another I just quit. I don't do it on purpose and I really work hard to make an effort to stay on them but, I just end up quitting.

2. It is a very, very long story and it would take me the next several hours to tell everything because, it isn't any one thing in particular.

But I thank you very much for your efforts.

Eunoia

hi Trish... I'm sure David will have more to say but I just wanted to welcome you as well and say that it is never too late to change. It doesn't matter how old you are, what you've been through, how many hurdles you're facing- there's always the possibility of change; it may not be as easy as that but there's hope.

ThatLady

Welcome to the forums, Trish! We're glad to have you here with us. :)

While I'm not bipolar, my daughter is, so I know where you're coming from to some extent. You didn't say how old you are, or how long you've been on (or off) medication. It's not unusual, in my experience, for people who suffer from bipolar disorder to stop taking their medications. It's not easy to have to take meds daily, or to admit to yourself that you have a condition that requires daily medication. Those manic highs feel pretty good, after all. ;)

The fact that you're concerned about your family and how you might be effecting them is a good place for you to start. That's what helped my daughter to make the committment to stay on her meds and really work hard, with her psychiatrist, to get well. Once she committed herself to doing what she had to do, things got a lot better for her...and for those of us who love her. It can be done, hon, and the result of doing it is...according to my daughter, better than she ever could have imagined life could be.

Do you see a psychiatrist, or a counsellor of any kind? Have you discussed your difficulties with this person? Is there someone close to whom you can talk when you find yourself "falling off the wagon"?

We're here for you, hon, and happy to help in any way we can. Just talk to us. Tell us what's going on in your heart and mind, and we'll share with you. Perhaps, together, and with the help of your doctor or counsellor, we can beat this thing. :)

Trish

Yes, part of my problem is the manic but, at the present it's not the reason I decided to try this. The reason is because my entire family is falling apart. And it's not due to my being manic. There are too many factors to get into. It would take me a few hours to tell the whole story. But I have to admit that I'm scared and almost out of hope. I need to do something to repair the tears in my family before it completely falls apart. If this happens I don't know what I'm going to do. But something needs to be done. This is why I decided to try this. I need help before it's too late. Thank you all for your word of encouragement.

ThatLady

Problem is, there's little we can do to help you if we don't know what's going on with you, luv. What do you mean when you say your family is falling apart? Is there a spouse involved? Are there children involved? What is happening that leads you to believe that things are falling apart?

Without a few answers, it's difficult to know where to start.

Eunoia

if you feel like your family is falling apart and like it doesn't have anything to do with you in particular (bipolar), then have you thought about family therapy? that would probably be the best idea to help everyone and w/ all the issues... we can try our best to help, help you that is, but if an entire family is about to fall apart I would take things into my own hands and seek family therapy in order to get the best results and find someone who can work w/ all family members.

Trish

The current situation is that my sister who has been dating this guy for a year almost two wants to get married. And that's ok with everyone except that she will be taking her son with her. And that shouldn't be a problem except that it will tear mine and my mom's heart out. The reason it's so difficult is because on Jan. 2, 2000 her oldest son passed away in his sleep and he was only 4 years old. He wasn't sick. The doctors said that he had an asthma attack at the same time he had a feberal seizure. I know that she can't put her life on hold just because of us. We want her to be happy and if she wants to get married, I won't like it but, I'll learn to deal with. Except and here's that word again; she and her boyfriend are a little immature for their age. She has a job barely making over minimum wage. And he is working two jobs and living hand to mouth because he has so many bills. Neither one is good with money. How are they going to be able to buy a new house and all that entails? But they don't want to listen or comprimise. They just want to do what they want and to heck with the consequences. And again that would be ok but, it doesn't affect just them.

I apologize for making my initial statement sound so dire but, at the time it was. Things with my family were as bad as it sounded. I guess instead of jumping the gun and should have waited. It seems everyone is acting like nothing ever happened. And if that's the way they want to handle this then there is nothing I can do. But it's kind of like waiting to the next bomb to explode. And I would suggest family counseling but, I can't even get them to individual therapy. I'm really greatful to have someone to sound off on and I really appreciate all the advise. But maybe using this website isn't necessary after all. Thank you again for the help. I wish you both the best. Goodbye.

Trish

Why is it that people can't listen to each other? Why do they think their ideas are the only ones that are right? If it weren't for my nephew and niece I think I would never speak to my family again. It's gotten to the point that I don't want to answer the phone anymore. To be truthful, I don't want to do anything anymore. Except stay in my house, in my bed and never leave it or talk to anyone EVER! Someone please tell me why we have to be here in the first place. All it does is hurt all the time. I am sick and tired of being me and dealing with life. Most days it just doesn't seem worth it! I DON'T WANT TO DO THIS ANYMORE! LIFE FREAKING SUCKS!:hopeless:

Jazzey

Account Closed
Hi Trish,

I'm sorry you're going through this right now. Have you ever considered seeing a therapist to give you some support right now? Do you already have a therapist?

Sending you positive vibes of support Trish. :support:

Trish

No I don't have a therapist. I don't really like going to them. You have to say everything you need to in an hour and set up an appointment. I think about things and stuff happen at all hours of the day and night. I use to talk to my mom all the time. She is my best friend and we'd talk till the wee hours of the night when everyone has gone to bed. But now she is also part of the problem. I have soooooo much bottled up that I don't know where to begin. And I can't talk about everything I need to in an hour. Besided I kind of like it this way. Don't have to be face to face.

Jazzey

Account Closed
As you say though, you keep a lot bottled up. This will worsen your depression. When I was going through some really difficult times, including not wanting to be a part of this life anymore, I finally went to see a psychologist.

And you're right. It does take some work and it's not always easy to tell the therapist what's on our minds. But, since you're having problems with your family, a therapist could provide you with some wonderful tools. For instance, how to cope with your family and/or how to deal with the emotions that they trigger in you.

I now see my therapist about once a month. But it has helped me a lot...

almost50

Trish
I know I am new here, and perhaps this is not the place (new member site) but your last post really hit home. I too felt that way about 2 months ago. I had never felt so depressed in my life. My wonderful therapist was a great help in getting me to see things differently. She said that the way I felt then was due to the depression which really messes with how people in general see the world. Being symptomatic is not a good time to be making decisions she reminded me - ANY decision.

Also I would be lost without my meds. I tried about 18 months ago to go off my depakote. It was a disaster - messed up my bipolar state and threw me into a horrible depression.

I hope you have a good therapist and psychiatrist to get you into a less depressed state.

Some day I too, don't want to play anymore - but I'm ultimately glad I stayed in the game 2 months ago

Peace

Trish in my opinion you have given the reasons yourself already, you have a family that you care for a great deal and I am sure they care for you equally. From my own experience with family sometimes it's hard to take their advice when your younger because you might think they don't have the same goals in mind and you're so used to being told what to do by your elders that you just ignore it because you are finally holding the reigns to your own life for the first time and you want to see what you can do. Remember that all the pain that life exposes us to is the very reason to appreciate the joys we can find; like the love of and from your family. It's only in the dark of night that we can see the splendor of the stars in the sky all around us.

barbeliz

i feel the same way and my family is falling apart. I'm new to this and don't know how it works yet. If you would like to chat, I'm here.

---------- Post added later and automatically merged ----------

And it's never too late!

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.