More threads by Vinton

Vinton

I was hospitalized for 10 weeks for depression, OCD and GAD... I was put on 20 mgs of cipralex and 5 mgs of zyprexa. Its been 4 weeks since I've been out of the hospital and I'Ve gained 25 lbs. I complained of this to my psychiatrist and she told me about a new med called abilify. So I started abilify 7 days ago.. 3 days at 2.5 mgs and 5 mgs after. At the same time I reduced the zyprexa for 3 days to 2.5 mgs and stopped it after 3 days. At day 10, I'm depressed and had 3 panic attacks in the same day. First time in years. Is it the zyprexa withdrawal or the start of abilify that is causing this problem?

Thanks

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
Hi Vinton. I am sorry you were in the hospital and that you are now having bad panic attacks.

Have you been in contact with your Psychiatrist during the decrease of the zyprexa?

I would suggest if you have not already, I would phone your psychiatrist and ask about what symptoms you are having. It is very important she know about this.

:support: I am so sorry you are struggling.

Vinton

Thanks for your reply.. I thought of it but she is on holidays for 2 weeks. I hope that some one in the group will be able to help me.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
It's probably the Abilify. It's more energizing than most medications of its type and some people do find it makes them feel anxious.

If your doctor is out of town, you might try calling your pharmacist for advice on how to proceed. There are a few options, including dropping back to the lower dose of Abilify until you can see your psychiatrist or adding back in a small amount of Zyprexa.

Once your doctor returns, you can talk to him/her about other options, perhaps a combination of Abilify with some Seroquel to help with the anxiety.

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
Thanks for your reply.. I thought of it but she is on holidays for 2 weeks. I hope that some one in the group will be able to help me.

You are very welcome. I am glad you came to visit us this evening. Let us know how things go.

We are always here if you need us. :support:

Vinton

Mr. Baxter...Thanks for your reply...Does this energizing problem arize only at the beginning of therapy?

Yes I will contact someone tomorrow. My pharmacist never heard of abilify till I came along.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Mr. Baxter...Thanks for your reply...Does this energizing problem arize only at the beginning of therapy?

No, not necessarily. As I said, some people use Seroquel or something similar to counter those effects.

Yes I will contact someone tomorrow. My pharmacist never heard of abilify till I came along.

I forget where you're posting from, Vinton, but my memory says somewhere in Canada. Abilify has only very recently become available in Canada (and indeed supplies are quite short still in some areas) but it has been available in the US for quite some time now.

Vinton

Thanks for the information...I'm posting from the Gatineau area . If abilify causes this on a permanant basis... I will cease it as soone as I get in touch with my Psy... I haven't had any panic attack for years.

Dr. Baxter.. I'm also a patient of Dr. Richard Bergeron, psychiatrist at
Pierre Janet who is involved in research with McGill and other institution across the country. He is coming out with a new trial med in January and told me the I was the perfect candidate for his research so I might just jump on the deal...

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.