More threads by eva

eva

MVP
I'll just get right to the brass tacks of my current issue: my family has a pretty small living space. And my mom snores VERY loudly. To the point where I can hear her clearly when I'm in my own bedroom with the door shut.

I've tried "cancelling" out the noise by keeping a fan or space heater on in my room at night. It's a crapshoot, and only works sometimes.

I've tried playing my relaxation music and nature sounds to drown out her noises, but it doesn't work, it just creates more noise and keeps me awake.

I've tried earplugs and they don't stay in my ears and I'm uncomfortable sleeping with them in.

I've had issues with my sleep patterns for years in my own rite, but over the past few months her snoring has, for some reason, gotten louder. It's kept me from falling asleep and a few times it's even totally woken me up. This has been going on since November. It took me months of coming to her in the middle of the night, waking her up, and explaining my issues, sometimes with a lot of anxiety and raising my voice for her to listen and actually talk to our doctor about going to a Sleep Clinic. Nothing has happened since she went and saw the doctor in February. Hell, I can hear her RIGHT NOW and it's agitating me a lot.

It's getting to the point where the combination of physical exhaustion and psychological frustration from being unable to sleep because of her noises causes me feelings of panic. The sound of her snoring is slowly but surely becoming triggering to me and she's doing nothing about it. I have a theory that because I've had issues with my sleeping patterns for years, she's not willing to take me seriously now that I'm blaming my sleep issues on her. I've explained to her SEVERAL TIMES that there have, in fact, been multiple occasions where the godawful noises she makes prevent me from falling asleep at night and render me incapable of getting to class during the day. Whenever she nags at me to "go to bed" and whenever she freaks out about me missing class, I want to scream. She's putting her own nagging and anxiety on me regarding something that is her fault! She is literally expecting me to take responsibility for a facet of my health that she is currently responsible for compromising and going strong about it! She can't even sleep in the same room as my dad because of this, and now it's a problem for me too but she's content to carry on just blaming me and nature.

If you sound like a warthog in a wood chipper when you sleep, that is not normal! If you have to sleep in a completely different room from your husband because of this, that is not normal! If your 22 year old daughter's nocturnal behaviour is becoming aggravated because she can't sleep at night because of these noises, that is NOT! NORMAL!!

And it's not just her. A few weeks ago I was taking the bus with my boyfriend to go somewhere and I started feeling anxious and angry because a guy in front of us fell asleep and was snoring.

I'm sick and tired of this routine and I don't know what's going to stop it.

I just really needed somewhere safe to scream about this, sorry.

GDPR

GDPR
My husband snores,so I understand how frustrating it can be.

Since he has his acid reflux under control,he's not snoring as much now,and when he does,a gentle nudge causes him to change sleep positions and it stops.

You're 22?Are you able to move into your own place?That might be the best solution since your mom's not willing to seek help.

I'm sorry. That is frustrating. My husband snores and I just lie there hoping it stops so I can go to sleep. He did have this device to wear in his mouth that helped a lot, but I don't know what happened to it.

eva

MVP
I'm in school, so I honestly don't have the time or energy to make enough money to live independently yet. :( And my folks don't have much money either, so they couldn't really help with that. It's still going to be a little while before I can really mobilize towards moving out. I'm just hoping that she'll start to take my issues seriously and make sure she gets in at that sleep clinic.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.