More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Mothers with eating disorders - how they affect their children
Friday, October 13, 2006
by John Gale

Children of mothers with eating disorders are known to be at greater risk of developing eating disorders than other children but there has been little research into the effects of mothers' eating disorders on children in 'middle childhood'. A study of 56 British families with 10-year-old children has found that those children with mothers with eating disorders were more likely to show dietary restraint, were more concerned about their weight and shape and thought weight and shape were more important to their self-esteem than other children. Children's eating disturbances were associated with how long their mothers had had eating disorders for and with conflict between the mother and child over feeding earlier in childhood.

Stein, Alan ... [et al] - Eating habits and attitudes among 10-year-old children of mothers with eating disorders British Journal of Psychiatry 189, 324-329

Similar threads

Severe anxiety in new mothers far more common than depression, new research shows Erin Ellis June 6, 2016 VANCOUVER ? Severe anxiety is three to four times more common than depression during pregnancy and early motherhood, according to newly published research from the University of British Columbia. Psychologist Nichole Fairbrother led a team that studied 310 pregnant women in Metro Vancouver from 2007 to 2010. They filled out a questionnaire on their mental health, and that was...
Replies
Views
Just wanted to wish all the Mothers out there a very Happy Peaceful Day
Replies
Views
Yesterday I went shopping for Mothers Day cards.I decided that while I was buying one for my MIL I would get one for my own mother too even though I have not seen her in 4 or 5 years.I thought even though she's not in my life,she's still my mom and it's the least I can do. It has been so long since I bought her one that I forgot how hard it is to find the right one for her.I found one fairly quick for my MIL,one that said how much she is loved,what a good person she is,that she is...
Replies
Views
Domestic Abuse Makes New Mothers Three Times More Likely To Suffer Depression By Anoopa Singh May 28, 2013 Based on comparisons of studies about domestic violence, the development of mental disorders like depression in mothers is inextricably linked to their histories of violence. Every year, between 152,000 and 324,000 pregnant women experience domestic violence. The health of a pregnant woman is often given the upmost priority since her health can affect her own child. After a recent...
Replies
Views
Testing expectant mothers for bipolar disorder could save lives By Kaleigh Rogers, CBC News Feb 9, 2013 9:36 AM ET New research out of St. Joseph?s Healthcare into the relationship between bipolar disorder and pregnancy has the potential to save lives. For a year and a half, the staff at St. Joe?s Women?s Health Concern Clinic used a simple questionnaire to gauge the risk for bipolar disorder in their pregnant patients. Previous research has shown that one in four bipolar women relapse in...
Replies
Views