More threads by Clueless in Seattle

Hi!

My name's Will and I live in Seattle.

I've been disabled by worsening chronic health problems for nearly twenty years, so I've needed to work on dealing with demoralizing thoughts, frustration and depression. I'm nearly seventy now and want to try to make the best of what years I have left, even though I will probably continue to see my capabilities diminishing as they have over the last twenty years.

I recently borrowed a book from the library, You Are Not Your Brain, by Schwartz and Gladding, which I found to be so helpful that I bought my own copy and have been working with it ever since.

However I find some of Schwartz's terminology to be confusing, so I'd like some help sorting it out.

I came across the Psychlinks web site by Googling "schwartz you are not your brain 4 steps forum OR discussion."

I'll poke around the forums for a bit, and then when I feel like I've found my way around here, I'll post a query in which I outline some of the problems I'm having with Schwartz's terminology.

I'm looking forward to learning from you,

Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
:welcome:

His coauthor has a blog, btw, but it is relatively inactive:

Use Your Mind to Change Your Brain | Psychology Today

---------- Post added at 04:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 PM ----------

Need help understanding Schwartz's 4-Step Terminology

Personally, I just think of it as one thing: Mindful refocusing. And then his 4 steps are different elements of his approach (which borrows largely from cognitive behavior therapy and mindfulness).

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.