More threads by white page

I was prescribed Xanax today, 0.25 three times a day, for two weeks.

I've never taken Xanax before.

Having just read the notice about a possible dependance according to the length of treatment , is the risk of dependance negligable after only two weeks?
I would have asked my GP about the in's and outs of this medication, but I'm afraid I was a bit emotional during the consultation.

thanks for reading

Andy

MVP
Re: Needing a little info about xanax please.

Hi White Page,

I take a benzo similar to xanax. I believe that is just a warning for people who are prone to addiction or just as a caution to you that if you start to notice a dependence for it.
I think if you take it as prescribed you should be fine. Just don't be taking more than necessary.

This is just my opinion not a medical opinion as I am sure you know-just putting that out there.

:support:

Thanks guys,

That is helpful, I never mess around with medication now, I was rather prone of stopping too soon in the past, learned my lesson though the hard way. :)

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

I was prescribed Xanax today, 0.25 three times a day, for two weeks.
Personally, at that relatively low dose, I would only be concerned about having enough pills to taper off. At least at higher doses or for longer durations, tapering off would be necessary.

Thanks Daniel,

That is reassuring , the pills can be halved, maybe I could only take half doses for the last few days.

Retired

As has been said, the risks of habituation with a medication like Xanax, among people who are not predisposed to addicitive behaviour is low.

I don't believe there is data to support habituation after using a low dose for two weeks.

Habituation or addiction with benzodiazepines is generally associated with high doses, usually higher than usual therapeutic doses and for extraordinarily long periods of time....years in most cases.

The prescribed instructions you mentioned are well within generally accepted safe limits.

If you are in doubt, discuss your concerns with your doctor.

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
Hi White Page.

I take Clonazepam as needed, but there have been times where I have needed one a day for a few weeks.

I am not sure how simular Clonazepam is to Xanax, but with the Clonazepam I have not had any problems even after taking one a day for a few weeks, then not taking it (cause I was not needing it)

I am glad you got some meds to help you out. :)

Thanks Steve,

That's great to know, I'll do exactly as he told me to do, with no worry about habituation risk to worry about. :)

Sorry to be so feeble about this, just a bit of anxiety, which is what the xanax is meant to help with. :)

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
Hi White Page.

You are not being feeble about this, don't you worry. I know when I felt a panic attack coming on and had just got my clonazepam I got scared to take it too.

I think it is a normal concern you have. :)

my goodness I slept right through to 7 am, woke up only long enough to take the second dose, and only woke at 1 pm. can't believe I slept so long, I've been sleeping 4 hours maximum for months and months.

Andy

MVP
:goodjob:That's great! I mean hopefully it didn't make you miss anything in the morning but it's good to hear that your body got some long awaited and much needed sleep! :support:

Thanks STP,

I've got sick leave at the moment, the only guy who was upset, was the feral cat, who sits on my window sill waiting for food when he isn't running around after lady cats.

I gave him a double dose, I think he has forgiven me :)

Fiver

[OT Hijack] When Hoser The Cat had surgery, he came home with a 25mcg Fentanyl patch on a shaved area of his flank. 25mcg of Fent is more than many chronic pain sufferers are blessed with in the US due to our Evil DEA Overlords. It's nice that the DEA is unconcerned with interfering with veterinarians. Now if they'd only let physicians do the jobs they were trained to do...[/OTH]

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.