More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
New Firefox Quantum Twice as Fast, 30% Less Memory
by John Lister, infopackets.com
November 15, 2017

Mozilla has launched a new version of the Firefox browser aimed at winning over Google Chrome users. It says the new version is twice as fast as earlier versions of Firefox that were available this year.

The key is the "web rendering engine," which is the part of the browser that interprets the code on a website page and visually combines it on the user's computer. Mozilla has replaced its old engine with a new one dubbed Firefox Quantum. It's also put together videos showing that Firefox is now quicker than Chrome to fully load most (but not all) of the more popular websites.

Independent reports suggest these claims are viable. They also note that the new browser feels faster in several other aspects such as typing website addresses. (Source: gizmodo.com)

Browser Does Two Things at Once
Part of the difference is that unlike previous editions, Firefox is set up to work better on computers that have multi-core processors. These systems are able to work on multiple tasks simultaneously because more CPU cores means more available 'hands' to get work done. The new browser splits out the various tasks involved in displaying and using a web page and assigns these tasks to different cores.

Mozilla also took aim at Chrome by saying Firefox now uses 30 percent less memory. It's unclear if that will be the experience of all users as it may vary widely depending on their computer and web use. However, it's certainly fair to say that heavy memory use and resulting freezes and slowdowns is the most common criticism of Chrome. (Source: mozilla.org)

New Firefox Interface Decluttered
Other changes include a cleaning up of the browser so that there's less clutter on the screen beyond the actual webpage. This includes using the same space for both typing website addresses and carrying out searches - something that's already common on most rival browsers.

Firefox also now has a single "Library" button that gives access to tools such as bookmarks, a downloaded files and browser history, rather than have multiple menu options permanently displayed on screen.

Firefox 57 (Quantum) Kills Many "Legacy" Addons
The new Firefox Quantum also includes the WebExtensions API (application programming interface), which manages Firefox addons. The biggest change means that older extensions which have not migrated to the WebExtensions API will no longer be compatible going forward. In other words: many addons will simply be disabled until (and if) the author decides to migrate to the new format.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Initial news releases stated or implied that the new version of Firefox was also faster (some said twice as fast as) Google Chrome. More recent news releases have not repeated that claim, however.

Firefox 57 (Quantum) Kills Many "Legacy" Addons
The new Firefox Quantum also includes the WebExtensions API (application programming interface), which manages Firefox addons. The biggest change means that older extensions which have not migrated to the WebExtensions API will no longer be compatible going forward. In other words: many addons will simply be disabled until (and if) the author decides to migrate to the new format.

This change is the stickler for many and the major source of anger about the new release.

To be honest, I did not like the new version at all when I first upgraded - to the point where I started experimenting with customizing either Chrome or Microsoft Edge. That was not a successful process so back I went to Firefox Quantum to see how close I could get to the previous version. I lost many of the add-ons (legacy add-ons) that improve my productivity and were being used daily, often several times per day.

However, with time and searching for new Firefox extensions, I am getting used to the new version. There are still some functions I haven't yet been able to replace but this is obviously a new and very different version of the browser, and no doubt in time some of the previous add-on coders will upgrade their products.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Early Returns on Firefox Quantum Point to Growth
by Nick Nguyen, Mozilla.org
December 12, 2017

When Firefox Quantum was launched earlier this year, it was measurably faster - Mozilla doubled Firefox’s speed while using 30% less memory than Chrome.

1. Our biggest release to date. Firefox Quantum is Firefox’s fastest path to 100M+ profiles and half a billion daily hours of use on a new release in recent memory – a product of both seamless release and strong uptick in new profiles. And, millions of users are still getting their first introduction to Firefox Quantum every day.
  2. More users are coming from Chrome. We’ve seen a 44% growth in downloads from people who are using the Chrome browser compared to the same time last year.
  3. Mobile is growing too. Our four core mobile apps are experiencing strong growth resulting from the launch of Firefox Quantum. Firefox for iOS and Android has shown a 24% lift in installs, and Firefox Focus for Android and iOS showed a 48% lift in installs.
  4. The Add-ons ecosystem remains strong. Over 1,000 Firefox Quantum-ready extensions have been added to addons.mozilla.org since Firefox Quantum was released.
  5. Screenshots is a breakout hit. It’s seeing very strong early traction. Users have taken over 30 million screenshots since the feature launched in late September.
  6. Developer Support for Firefox Quantum: Improved browser speed and stability, as well as high quality developer tools are giving developers more reasons to try and continue to use Firefox developer tools. Since the September 26th developer edition of Firefox Quantum was released, we saw a 10% increase in daily use of developer tools and a 53% increase in Developer edition downloads.

Read more...

GaryQ

MVP
Are we able to totally disable ALL telemetry functions?

I looked it up but not 100% sure. I'm tired of everything collecting everything all the time.

I miss my commodore 64... all it collected was dust :)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.