More threads by NightOwl

NightOwl

Are there any particular professions that tend to attract someone with NPD and also are there any professions that will draw out the worst of anyone who is affected by NPD? This is a relatively new subject for me and I'm interested to learn more about it.

Many thanks.

NightOwl

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I don't know the answer to that but it's ann interesting question. Would narcissists be drawn to public performance or the public eye, for example? Actors, dancers, artists, politicians?

NightOwl

Thank you David. Certainly politicians seem to come to mind, I've known some politicians through my lifetime and they seem to have a lot of the characteristics of someone with NPD - they can be extremely charming, aloof, and you see a light switch come on in their expression when they walk into a crowded room and their character completely changes from the person that was outside the door. Also I could imagine that in acting NPD could be an asset.

Many thanks for your answer.

NightOwl :)

Banned

Banned
It's definitely interesting to see how our personality traits (and flaws) draw us to certain professions.

I have a friend who is a flight attendant. She stated flat out that she wants people to look at her and admire her all day. She may be nothing more than a bit insecure, but she chose a job that would (maybe?) change that.

NightOwl

Does firstly the type of job attract people with NPD, and then does the job itself further enhance the characteristics of NPD in that person, resulting in a chicken - egg situation where both situations / characteristics are enhancing each other?

NightOwl :)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.