More threads by Auburn

Auburn

Well, I am sitting here in awe after watching a special on A & E about a drug called OxyContin, and then the move to Heroin. I knew very little about OxyContin, and thought I should watch. Now my mind is just flailing.

Sadly, as much as I have my PTSD in check, I do find that this is a side effect I havent been able to shake. So, I sat down and wrote a letter to my oldest daughter. She is 13. She is so smart, and so creative. I want to say that "not my kid", but I know the pressures of being a teen. She and I talk about everything, but will that last? Who can be sure. We have talked extensively about drugs, but is it enough? In my letter, I just spoke to her about being aware of this drug. What the effects are and the damage it will do. I spoke to her about taking care of herself and her friends. And I spoke to her about talking to me, for anything. That I will always be there for her. It is so frightening what our teens have to face. It scares the hell out of me. And my mind is now in hyper mode wondering, have I done enough? Have I made her feel secure enough in herself to be able to say no to the peer pressure? Have I given her the facts she needs to stay strong and steadfast?

I have decided this very minute to go lock her in her room and keep her with me for always!! :) And then I will have to do the same to my younger two! I know this is just rambling now, but, wow, it is a scary old world out there. So much more so than when I was a teen. She is an amazing girl, and I know she will be an amazing woman. She is very comfortable in her own skin. But, next year is highschool. A whole new ball game. Fear is a nasty little bugger isn't it!

Well, for now, I am going to try and sleep. My hubby works nights and she has taken to sneaking into my room to sleep with me. We call her my nighttime buddy! So, I am going to go and hug her tight and say my prayers and hope that I have done the very best for her! Thanks for listening to my rant.

lallieth

Hi Auburn

I know how you feel..I have a 16 year old daughter and sometimes worry for her safety,but she talks to me pretty much about everything.Our need as mother's to protect our children is very strong,but there comes a time when we need to let go,allow them to make their own choices and trust that we have taught them well enough to be able to make informed mature decisions (which they wont always make)

but like you,I want to wrap my kids in a cocoon and keep them as they are

ladylore

Account Closed
Your a very loving mother Auburn. :) Just being there for them, letting them know they can come to you with anything and it can be worked out - together. Just having them know how much you love them and trust them will go a long way.

meagan80

My goodness, my daughter is only 3, Im not looking forward to her being a teen at all. Is it illegal to lock them up until they are 30? Im going to go insane. I guess I have time to find that balance of being involved in her life without being overly restrictive. Good luck to you, I cant even yet imagine how much worry you have to get over on a regular basis.:p

Auburn

Hey everyone! I am so glad I am not the only Mama that has moments of sheer terror!! lol Thank you for that! I have really good kids, but that doesn't stop the worry. And just how did I end up with a teen almost in highschool?? I am pretty sure it was only yesterday I was there!!! I just have to trust that we have done all we can to make them strong, self minded kids, not afraid to stand up for themselves. I think we have done a pretty good job! meagan80.....I think it is only illegal to lock them up in some countries!!! hehehe
Have a wonderful day everyone! :)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.