More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Should you be afraid of Friday the 13th?
By Ben Sherwood, TheSurvivorClub.org
March 13, 2009

Being anxious about the superstition could be hazardous to your health

It?s called paraskevidekatriaphobia: a morbid or irrational fear of Friday the 13th. It's believed that as many as 25 million Americans will change their behavior today because of superstition: They?ll stay away from shopping malls and won't set foot on airplanes. The cost of all this fear comes close to $800 million per day in lost business, according to the Stress Management Center and Phobia Institute in North Carolina.

So what?s the truth? Is Friday the 13th hazardous to your health? Are you better off staying home today? I?ve spent the last few years studying who lives and dies in all kinds of everyday crises. When it comes to Friday the 13th, there?s some good news, some bad news and one thing you can definitely do to improve your chances.

It's actually safer than an average Friday
On the bright side, a recent study suggests that Friday the 13th is actually safer than the average Friday. Dutch researchers with the Center for Insurance Statistics looked at traffic accidents, fires and thefts and found there were fewer incidents on Friday the 13th than regular Fridays. Do people drive and behave more carefully on Friday the 13th? Or do they just stay home, avoiding black cats and ladders? ?I find it hard to believe that it is because people are preventatively more careful,? a Dutch statistician explains, ?but statistically speaking, driving is a little bit safer on Friday 13th.?

Nothing to fear but fear itself
On the dark side, a Finnish study in 2002 found that women have a 63 percent greater risk of dying in traffic accidents on that date. Simo Nayha, the Finnish researcher, believes that fear causes them to crash. ?It is not inconceivable that on Friday the 13th,? Nayha writes, ?women who are susceptible to superstitions obsess that something unfortunate is going to happen, which causes anxiety and the subsequent degradation of mental and motor functioning.?

The Finnish study is supported by earlier data published in the British Medical Journal. Researchers examined auto accidents on Friday the 6th and Friday the 13th over a three year period. ?Friday 13th is unlucky for some,? they concluded. ?The risk of hospital admission as a result of a transport accident may be increased by as much as 52 percent. Staying at home is recommended.?

Beware of the number 4, not 13
Professor David Phillips, a sociologist at the University of California, San Diego who loves to investigate phenomena like the fear of Friday the 13th, examined 47 million computerized death certificates and found no spike in ?white mortality? on the thirteenth of every month.

However, Phillips noticed a surprising death spike on the 4th of every month and he coined an elegant name for it: the Baskerville Effect. It comes from Sir Arthur Conan Doyle?s mystery The Hound of the Baskervilles where a character suffers a fatal heart attack after being terrorized by a demonic dog. On the fourth of every month, Phillips says, there?s a spike in coronary-related fatalities among Americans of Japanese and Chinese ancestry. Across the United States, he found 13 percent more Asian American cardiac-related deaths on the fourth than expected. In California, where these populations are concentrated, he discovered 27 percent more deaths.

In Mandarin, Cantonese, and Japanese, the words for ?four? and ?death? are almost identical, Phillips says, and many Asians are superstitious about the number. Indeed, in hospitals and hotels in the Far East, the number 4 is avoided just like the number 13 in parts of the Western world. Phillips tested and rejected all sorts of theories to account for the death peak on the fourth of every month. In the end, he concluded that fear connected to the number 4 was the only plausible explanation. ?The Baskerville effect exists both in fact and in fiction,? he declared in the British Medical Journal.

Bottom Line: You might want to exercise extra caution on Friday the 13th (or the 4th of every month), but you shouldn?t be afraid. Indeed, if you?re fearful of anything, you should worry about other people who suffer from paraskevidekatriaphobia. Avoid them on the roads. Steer clear of them on sidewalks. After all, it?s not the day or date that will get you. It?s the fear.

Ben Sherwood is the author of The Survivors Club: The Secrets and Science that Could Save Your Life, a New York Times bestseller. A former executive producer of ABC?s Good Morning America and senior broadcast producer of NBC Nightly News, he is executive director of TheSurvivorClub.org, a new online resource center and support network for people facing all kinds of adversity.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Five facts about Friday the 13th

Five facts about Friday the 13th
LiveScience
Thurs., March. 12, 2009

Did you know that Franklin D. Roosevelt wouldn't travel on Friday the 13th?

If Friday the 13th is unlucky, then 2009 is an unusually unlucky year. This week's Friday the 13th is one of three to endure this year.

The first came last month. The next is in November. Such a rare triple-threat occurs only once every 11 years.

The origin of the link between bad luck and Friday the 13th is murky. The whole thing might date to Biblical times (the 13th guest at the Last Supper betrayed Jesus). By the Middle Ages, both Friday and 13 were considered bearers of bad fortune. In modern times, the superstition permeates society.

Here are five of our favorite Friday-the-13th facts:

1. Fear of Friday the 13th ? one of the most popular myths in science ? is called paraskavedekatriaphobia as well as friggatriskaidekaphobia. Triskaidekaphobia is fear of the number 13.

2. Many hospitals have no room 13, while some tall buildings skip the 13th floor and some airline terminals omit Gate 13.

3. President Franklin D. Roosevelt would not travel on the 13th day of any month and would never host 13 guests at a meal. Napoleon and President Herbert Hoover were also triskaidekaphobic, with an abnormal fear of the number 13.

4. Mark Twain once was the 13th guest at a dinner party. A friend warned him not to go. "It was bad luck," Twain later told the friend. "They only had food for 12." Superstitious diners in Paris can hire a quatorzieme, or professional 14th guest.

5. The number 13 suffers from its position after 12, according to numerologists who consider the latter to be a complete number ? 12 months in a year, 12 signs of the zodiac, 12 gods of Olympus, 12 labors of Hercules, 12 tribes of Israel, 12 apostles of Jesus, 12 days of Christmas and 12 eggs in a dozen.

Pythagorean legacy
Meanwhile the belief that numbers are connected to life and physical things ? called numerology ? has a long history.

"You can trace it all the way from the followers of Pythagoras, whose maxim to describe the universe was 'all is number,'" says Mario Livio, an astrophysicist and author of The Equation That Couldn't Be Solved (Simon & Schuster, 2005). Thinkers who studied under the famous Greek mathematician combined numbers in different ways to explain everything around them, Livio said.

In modern times, numerology has become a type of para-science, much like the meaningless predictions of astrology, scientists say.

"People are subconsciously drawn towards specific numbers because they know that they need the experiences, attributes or lessons associated with them, that are contained within their potential," says professional numerologist Sonia Ducie. "Numerology can 'make sense' of an individual's life (health, career, relationships, situations and issues) by recognizing which number cycle they are in, and by giving them clarity."

However, mathematicians dismiss numerology, saying it lacks any scientific merit.

"I don't endorse this at all," Livio said, when asked to comment on the popularity of commercial numerology. Seemingly coincidental connections between numbers will always appear if you look hard enough, he said.

Retired

Ever since my thirteenth birthday, each following birthday every thirteen years has been very unnerving.

They say that fear subsides at 113!

:rolleyes:

SoSo

I would like to see anyone say any of those 3 words listed above 3 times fast...oh my, can't say them even once properly...forget being afraid of Friday 13th...which I am not...afraid to embarrass myself trying to pronounce those words:noidea:
Feisty:peek:

Mari

MVP
Fear very long words? You've got hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia! :eek: Mari (I think that might be a joke but I like it anyway)

Jazzey

Account Closed
In my culture, Friday the 13th is good luck...Which is a good thing given that I was born on a Friday the 13 :)

Jazzey

Account Closed
:lol: I'm happy to see you're feeling much better Dr. Baxter :) And spoken like a true Upper canadian. :D (zing! :p)

SoSo

...and I thought antidisastablishmentarism was a horrible long word we were made to learn in school in Nova Scotia...ha, nothing compared to those words on here:jiggy:
Feisty:hide:

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.