More threads by Christina

Christina

I am aware of the pros and cons of taking paxil while pregnant..has anyone done so? if so did you notice any effects on your child????? Im in the midst of starting IVF and this is just something that is on my mind.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Re: paxil and pregnancy

Try to avoid Paxil if possible, depending on your individual situation:

The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, using some new information and data, has issued a warning saying that using the antidepressant Paxil among pregnant women and women planning pregnancy should be avoided if possible.

"The reasons for this more recent data showing that women who take this medication during the first trimester have an increased risk of having babies who have certain heart malformations. They also recommend women who have taken it during the early part of pregnancy should consider having a fetal ultrasound or fetal echocardiogram, looking at the baby's heart to make sure they don't have this problem."

"Now, having said this, I certainly don't want to panic people or make women overly concerned. Fortunately, these types of problems in babies are rare. So this is caution on their part," Senay adds.

more at New Warning On Paxil And Pregnancy - CBS News (December 2006)

I would hope that you are already getting therapy, 30+ minutes of daily exercise, social support (significant time with friends and family), music therapy, etc., as a way to help treat depression.

BTW, as you may know, foods rich in omega-3s like salmon are ideal for would-be mothers and their fetuses/babies.

Halo

As always Daniel has a wealth of information at his fingertips that he is willing to share....thanks :)

Christina

hmmm...well this is something that I can't avoid...so I guess I will just have to have the babies heart monitored closely pre and post birth...thanx for the info

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
BTW, a relevant article I saw today while looking up articles about depression and exercise:

Effect of a single bout of exercise on the mood of pregnant women.

J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 2007 Mar;47(1):103-11.

Authors: Polman R, Kaiseler M, Borkoles E.

Department of Sport, Health and Exercise Science, University of Hull, Hull, UK.

AIM: Few studies have been conducted investigating the psychological benefits of exercise during pregnancy. Additionally, hormonal and cardiovascular responses to water-based and land-based exercise in pregnant women are different. Therefore, this study investigated the influence of a single bout of exercise on the mood of pregnant women participating in an aqua- or studio-based exercise class compared to a parentcraft and a control group. METHODS: The study consisted of 4 conditions: the 66 participants either took part in an aqua class, a gym studio class, a parentcraft class or acted as controls. Mood was assessed using the profile of mood states (POMS) just prior to the activity and shortly following the activity. RESULTS: No initial differences were observed between the four conditions before exercise or activity participation. However, participation in the aqua and studio conditions resulted in increased overall mood score and showed a significant increase on the vigor subscale. Also, a decrease in the depression sub-scale of the POMS was found in the aqua condition. The parentcraft classes did not alter the women's mood state. CONCLUSIONS: Although the physiological and hormonal reactions are different for aqua- and land-based exercise both modes of exercise appear to be equally beneficial for pregnant women to engage in to improve mood. Additionally, exercise, but not parentcraft classes, resulted in enhanced mood in women in their 2(nd) or 3(rd) trimester of pregnancy. Although exercise has mood benefits that are comparable to other mood management techniques, it also has additional physiological and physical benefits to both the mother and the fetus.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/..._uids=17369806&query_hl=1&itool=pubmed_docsum

Related articles

Christina

Thank you for all of the info you have found for me...I will try the excerise idea although I am being treated for anxiety,,, Im sure it will help tho

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.