More threads by Cat Dancer

Sometimes this happens and then there's the most horrible taste in my mouth. I drink a lot of water with my medication, but sometimes it doesn't seem to make any difference. Tonight is one of those nights so I'm eating a cracker with some peanut butter on it which is a hard thing for someone with an eating disorder to do, but I can't stand that awful pill taste.

Does this ever happen to anyone else?

Retired

There are many reasons for not letting medications dissolve in the mouth unless specifically designed for that purpose, such as sublingual or rapid-melting tablets.

You may want to speak to your doctor about difficulty swallowing tablets, because it is not an uncommon occurance for many people.

Do you take several tablets at once or one at a time? When you put the tablet or capsule on your tongue, do you immediately drink it down with a glass of water?

IAC you must train yourself to resist the urge to let the medication dissolve in your mouth or throat, because of the unpleasant effects, and possibly loss in effectiveness.

Medications are designed to be broken down by digestive fluids for optimum absorption.

You may find this article from Mayo Clinic on difficulty swallowing of interest:

Difficulty swallowing: Causes - MayoClinic.com

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.