More threads by Been there Done that

Medications: Effexor(150mg), Trazadone (50mg), Risperadal (2mg), Fanapt (20mg)

I have researched online and asked several pharmacists on the Walgreens Chat online and there is a pharmacist who answers questions 24/7. They all say different things but I am frustrated b/c I have a problem with reading comprehension and was wondering if the meds I am taking has anything to do with this. Has anyone else had this problem?

Been There Done That(Ruth) GRRR

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Not likely.

• How long have you been taking Effexor?
  • Does it make you feel sleepy?
  • What time of day do you take it?
  • Why was it prescribed? i.e., what is the diagnosis or condition being treated?

I have been taking Effexor for about a year now for depression. I need 12 hours of sleep a night. I take it at 8AM every morning It was prescribed for the depression in bipolar disorder. I have asked many pharmacists if this affects reading comprehension and they aren't sure how to answer this question.
Do you prescribe meds and are you a psychologist?
I spoke to a woman yesterday who has also been on the meds I am taking now. She says these meds DO interfere with reading comprehension. Pharmacists don't recognize the term "reading comprehenion. Does anyone know 100% for sure. It seems like I get one set answer and that is NO. I think I might be right. This is very frustrating b/c I am on disability and I read alot.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I am a psychologist but I do not prescribe medications. However, I am quite familiar with most psychotropic medications and their effects and side-effects.

I agree with your pharmacists: I don't believe the meds you are taking are likely to interfere with reading comprehension, unless they make you sleepy or drowsy during the daytime. Many people with bipolar disorder do believe that the medications "slow them down" (which in a way is true but that's what they need to do) and so it may feel as if you are doing things more slowly but it shouldn't affect your normal cognitive functioning.

I am aware that I haven't had any problems with reading comprehension until I went on meds about 15 years ago. I still think the meds I am taking can still be causing this. I heard that risperidone causes disturbance of attention and lamictal can cause confusion. Wouldn't this affect reading comprehension?

My doctor won't change my meds b/c they are working well at controlling mania. This still disturbs me about the reading comprehension. I am taking effexor, lamictal, fanapt and risperadal. I was wondering if anyone else might be having the same problem I am?

I am still having this probelm. Only now I am not taking Fanapt. I am taking Saphris 10mg. a day.Does anyone else know about these drugs and having a side effect of confusion with reading?

Last edited by a moderator:
Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.