More threads by Daniel E.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
“To become a maker is to make the world for others, not only the material world but the world of ideas that rules over the material world, the dreams we dream and inhabit together.”

~ The Faraway Nearby

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
“All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
“You can't use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.”

― Maya Angelou

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
"Creativity doesn't wait for that perfect moment. It fashions its own perfect moments out of ordinary ones."

-- Bruce Garrabrandt

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
"My father was a very disciplined and punctual man; it was a prerequisite for his creativity. There was a time for everything: for work, for talk, for solitude, for rest. No matter what time you get out of bed, go for a walk and then work, he’d say, because the demons hate it when you get out of bed, demons hate fresh air. So when I make up excuses not to work, I hear his voice in my head: Get up, get out, go to your work."

~ Linn Ullmann, on her father Ingmar Bergman

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Investment Theory of Creativity -- Robert J. Sternberg

The investment theory of creativity, proposed in collaboration with Todd Lubart, holds that creativity is in large part a decision. In particular, it is a decision to buy low and sell high in the world of ideas. Creative people, like good investors, generate ideas that, at the time are viewed as novel and perhaps slightly ridiculous. The creative individuals are metaphorically “buying low.“ Then, once their ideas have gained some acceptance, the creative individuals “sell high,“ reaping the profits of their good idea and moving on to the next unpopular idea. sed.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
"I maintain that there is a desperate social need for the creative behaviour of creative individuals."

"Perhaps the most fundamental condition of creativity is that the source or locus of evaluative judgment is internal. The value of his product is, for the creative person, established not by the praise and criticism of others, but by himself. Have I created something satisfying to me?... If to the person it has the "feel" of being "me in action," of being an actualization of potentialities in himself which heretofore have not existed and are now emerging into existence, then it is satisfying and creative, and no outside evaluation can change that fundamental fact."

"My definition, then, of the creative process is that it is the emergence in action of a novel relational product, growing out of the uniqueness of the individual on the one hand, and the materials, events, people, or circumstances of his life on the other."

"Any of the serious criticisms of our culture and its trends may best be formulated in terms of a dearth of creativity...In education we tend to turn out conformists, stereotypes, individuals whose education is "completed," rather than freely creative and original thinkers. In our leisure time activities, passive entertainment and regimented group action are overwhelmingly predominant while creative activities are much less in evidence. In the sciences, there is an ample supply of technicians, but the number who can creatively formulate fruitful hypotheses and theories is small indeed. In industry, creation is reserved for the few-the manager, the designer, the head of the research department-while for the many life is devoid of original or creative endeavour."

~ Carl Rogers

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
What Birdsong Can Teach Us About Creativity -- NOVA

"We found that the birds who oscillate in this way—more structure, less structure, more structure—learn better."

These amazing creative animals show why humans are the most innovative species of all

Our species’ remarkable achievements are first and foremost down to the fact that we pool our knowledge and build upon it. The absence of complex culture in other animals isn’t down to a lack of creativity. Rather it’s their inability to transmit cultural knowledge with sufficient accuracy. That’s why no monkey ever composed a sonata.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.