• Quote of the Day
    "Our job in this lifetime is not to shape ourselves into some ideal we imagine we ought to be,
    but to find out who we already are and become it."
    Steven Pressfield, posted by David Baxter

Daniel

Forum Supporter
MVP

The search for a good therapist can be rough. In my experience, it’s like going on a series of particularly emotionally intense dates where you have to wait weeks and then pay them hundreds of dollars to judge you.

Daniel

Forum Supporter
MVP
Is he endlessly retelling the story because he thinks I’m not getting it? Or does it have some traumatic element I’m not picking up on, and the countless retellings are a kind of personal exposure therapy, possible and safer due to the therapeutic setting. Or maybe it’s an allegory for something very difficult that he can’t yet express directly. No matter, my client, my client who deserves utter attention and unconditional empathy from me, is doing this so it is important. To both of us.

~ David McPhee, PhD

Daniel

Forum Supporter
MVP

"The more the therapist perceives the client as a person rather than as an object, the more the client will come to perceive himself as a person rather than an object."

Daniel

Forum Supporter
MVP

APA Dictionary of Psychology

flight into health

in psychotherapy, an abrupt “recuperation” by a prospective client after or during intake interviews and before entry into therapy proper or, more commonly, by a client in ongoing therapy in order to avoid further confrontation with cognitive, emotional, or behavioral problems. Psychoanalytic theory interprets the flight into health as an unconscious defense mechanism. Also called transference cure; transference remission.

Top Bottom