More threads by Daniel E.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
"We may define therapy as a search for value."
~ Abraham Maslow

"You know I think that going into therapy is a very positive thing, and talking about it is really helpful, because the more you talk the more your fears fade, because you get it out."
~ Fran Drescher

"What a beautiful garbage dump therapy can be. Generations of psychic pollutants pour into therapy. The beauty of therapy survives them."
~ Michael Eigen, Psychic Deadness

"Only the wounded healer can truly heal."
~ Irvin Yalom, Lying on the Couch

---------- Post added at 08:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

"In my early professional years I was asking the question: How can I treat, or cure, or change this person? Now I would phrase the question in this way: How can I provide a relationship which this person may use for his own personal growth?"
~ Carl Rogers

"Country music has always been the best shrink that 15 bucks can buy."
~ Dierks Bentley

---------- Post added at 09:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 PM ----------

"Psychotherapy isn't what you think."
~ James Bugental

"Many women coming to therapy are already healthier than others who do not seek counseling. They want greater understanding of themselves and more personal growth." ~ Helen V. Collier, Counseling Women (1982)

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
"Experience is, for me, the highest authority. The touchstone of validity is my own experience. No other person's ideas, and none of my own ideas, are as authoritative as my experience. It is to experience that I must return again and again, to discover a closer approximation to truth as it is in the process of becoming in me."

"We cannot change, we cannot move away from what we are, until we thoroughly accept what we are. Then change seems to come about almost unnoticed.”

“Once an experience is fully in awareness, fully accepted, then it can be coped with effectively, like any other clear reality.”

― Carl R. Rogers, On Becoming a Person: A Therapist's View of Psychotherapy

A finely tuned understanding by another individual gives the recipient a sense of personhood, of identity. In the ordinary interactions of life congruence is probably the most important element. Congruence, or genuineness, involves letting the other person know "who you are" emotionally. It may involve confrontation and the straightforward expression of personally owned feelings - both negative and positive.

― Carl R. Rogers, A Way of Being

---------- Post Merged at 11:00 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:22 AM ----------

"We teach people that they upset themselves. We can't change the past, so we change how people are thinking, feeling and behaving today."

"There are three musts that hold us back: I must do well. You must treat me well. And the world must be easy."

~ Albert Ellis

Last edited:

PrincessX

Account Closed
I found a lot of console and a lot of answers in reading Albert Ellis. I read only one of his books. He is a pioneer and a lot of his ideas were adopted by later CBT called authors. Very talented man, impressive ideas could be found in his books. To me, he is bigger than David Burns.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
BTW:

Rogers and Ellis, however, do share several important beliefs and values:

1. Great optimism that people can change, even when deeply disturbed.

2. A perception that individuals are often unnecessarily self-critical, and that negative attitudes can become positive.

3. A willingness to put forth great effort to help people; both through individual therapy and through professional therapy and nontechnical
writing, and

4. A willingness to demonstrate their methods publicly.

PERSON-CENTRED THERAPY VS. RATIONAL EMOTIVE BEHAVIOUR THERAPY :acrobat:

PrincessX

Account Closed
Nothing wrong with Carl Rogers, but Albert Ellis is the author who, if read properly, allows to find answers and solutions to difficult problems, and to even understand why people engage in the relationships they do. I like his approach and hope to have more time to read his books. The book I read was: "The secret of overcoming verbal abuse: Getting off the emotional roller coaster and regaining control of your life" by Albert Ellis and Marcia Powers.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
That's why I like DBT. It combines both approaches -- Ellis-like CBT with Rogers-like validation -- along with mindfulness.

PrincessX

Account Closed
"Every day, in little ways, we deepen the groove of habitual thoughts that directly influence the quality of our lives by what we think and say to ourselves on a regular basis." - Cheryl Richardson, life coach

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Today, the therapy profession has by and large stepped back from treating the poor. Even our therapy models and methods—ever more technical, time-limited, DSM-focused, and adapted to fit chronically tight reimbursement levels—have lost the expansive, socially supportive orientation typical of the classic community mental health approach.

Mary Sykes Wylie, "Community Mental Health Today" (2015)

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
The healing gesture … is not intended to explain it away or fill in the abyss but simply to affirm that they are not alone, that our common madness is a matter of degree, that we’re all siblings in the same night of truth. The healing gesture is not to explain madness if that means to explain it away but to recognize it as a common fate, to affirm our community and solidarity.

– Phillip Caupto

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
"Psychoanalysis has always been a living fact for me, part of my life blood for more than four decades. Part of a search, an ax to crack the frozen sea within (as Kafka said about writing), a probe, a point of entr?e into pain, a breaking through crust, a way to open heart. I went into it because I was desperate and it became part of the way I live."

~ Michael Eigen, The Sensitive Self

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
“I would say that our patients never really despair because of any suffering in itself! Instead, their despair stems in each instance from a doubt as to whether suffering is meaningful. Man is ready and willing to shoulder any suffering as soon and as long as he can see a meaning in it.”

~ Viktor Frankl, 1961, "Logotherapy and the Challenge of Suffering"

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Therapy is often a matter of tipping the first domino. ~ Milton H. Erickson

Psychotherapy isn't a twentieth-century artifice imposed on nature, but the reinstatement of a natural healing process. ~ Patricia Love

Psychotherapy is the art of finding the angel of hope in the midst of terror, despair and madness. ~ Cloe Madanes

Psychotherapy can be one of the greatest and most rewarding adventures, it can bring with it the deepest feelings of personal worth, of purpose and richness in living. ~ Eda Leshan

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
“If my son or daughter were depressed, I’d want them to go to a therapist who can get them dramatic improvements in just a few sessions, not just have them pondering their life for months or years without change.”

~ Dr. David Burns

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
"You can have a lot of mental health professionals in an area, but still have a shortage of care for people in need. The person who's hurt is the person who's suicidal, maybe they're horribly addicted to OxyContin or their child is showing signs of bipolar disorder, and they can't find somebody to take their insurance. It's unjust."

~ Stanford psychiatry professor Keith Humphreys, quoted in How Therapy Became A Hobby Of The Wealthy, Out Of Reach For Those In Need (2016)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.