More threads by Richardaddy

Hi

I am taking 75mg of efexor XL (venlafaxine) capsule each day. I have been taking it since November 2002. Before that I was on Lustral (sertraline) for 31 months. I have heard that venlafaxine is terrible to come off and that it causes electric shocks in the head symptoms if you try to come off it. I definitely need to take an anti-depressant, I just don't know whether to change from venlafaxine to another one, but which one I don't know. I suffer from depression, anxiety, paranoia and OCD and Personality disorder. I am also on olanzapine, but my question here is should I continue on venlafaxine or change to another anti-depressant? Since I started taking efexor in November 02, it has made me very agitated and paranoia (hence me needing an anti-psychotic too). There are so many anti-depressants, I don't know what to do.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
No, the SSRI you're thinking about that often produces those withdrawal effects is Paxil (paroxetine). I've never heard of Effexor doing that. I would also note that 75 mg of Effexor XR is not a high dose at all.

Your doctor should be the best one to know your individual medical history, including how you reacted to sertraline (Zoloft). Regarding the "agitation and paranoia", I interpret your post to mean that the doctor knows about these side-effects of Effexor XR -- in some individuals, especially those prone to bipolar disorder or cyclothymic disorder, the use of SSRIs can induce some hypomanic symptoms and the olanzepine may have been prescribed for that reason. In other words, I don't know of course why your doctor made the decision but I'm suggesting that s/he may have reason to believe you would have experienced this on other SSRIs as well.

Nonetheless, I would raise the issue with your doctor -- there are some alternatives that might be considered but the fact that you experienced the agitation on Effexor might rule out some of them in your case (e.g., Prozac).

Similar threads

Valproic Acid and Pregnancy: FDA Issues Warning by Ruta Nonacs, MD PhD, Women's Mental Health May 21, 2013 There have been multiple recent reports indicating that the use of valproate during pregnancy may be associated with lower IQ, cognitive problems, and developmental delays in exposed children. This has prompted the FDA to issue a warning regarding the use of valproate-containing drugs, including Depakote and Depakene, during pregnancy: FDA is advising health care professionals...
Replies
Views
From Managing Depression Using Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy(2004) :acrobat: Negative or Unhelpful Beliefs: Demands – Check to see if your thoughts contain the words “must,” “should,” or “ought”. For example, you might think, “I must be able to do all of my errands today!” or, you might think “Life should be fair.” Awfulizing/Catastrophizing – Check to see if your thoughts involve words like “awful,” “horrible,” or “terrible.” For example, you might think, “I had to take two naps...
Replies
Views
Like the others said, let me reassure you. Getting HIV from receptive female to male oral sex is almost unheard of. Do you know for sure that this woman is HIV positive? Also, since you tested yourself a year later I would accept the results as accurate. I believe your feelings may be rooted in some sort of OCD-style obsession (no judgment). Do you often worry about HIV? I used to be plagued by fears of HIV that would consume most of my days for several years. In the end, all the...
Replies
Views
Important Safety Information Regarding the Use of Sleep Aid Drugs and the Risk of Complex Sleep-Related Behaviours Health Canada Bulletin 2009-161 October 7, 2009 OTTAWA – Health Canada is informing consumers and health professionals of recent changes to the labelling information of prescription sleep aid medications used in the short-term treatment of insomnia. Sleep aid drugs are used for short-term treatment of insomnia characterized by difficulty in falling asleep, or waking up often...
Replies
Views
thanks for the info. I'm not gonna try Paxil again. for some reason it,s always the 1st one they prescribe (last time I asked to be on Effexor, they prescribed Paxil. I had heard it was better than othe rantidepressants at curing depression (avoiding a relapse)).... regarding the endocrinian system I had my hormones checked 8 years ago via blood tests and an appointment with an endocrinologist. he said the results were normal (though high testosterone but within a normal range) but did...
Replies
Views