More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Rewriting Your Nightmares
New York Times Blog
October 31, 2008

Halloween is filled with the stuff of nightmares — costumed ghosts, vampires and slasher-movie monsters. But for some people, nightmares aren’t holiday fun. As many as 25 percent of adults have at least one nightmare a month. For a troubled 7 to 8 percent of the population, nightmares interrupt sleep at least once a week.

But many people don’t realize that having chronic nightmares is a medical problem that can be treated.

A nightmare is a complex dream that can cause high levels of anxiety and terror. Nightmares typically interrupt sleep as the mind plays out frightening scenes that involve imminent harm, like being chased, threatened or injured. For people who suffer from post-traumatic stress, nightmares tend to involve reliving the original horror of the traumatic event.

It’s believed that nightmares occur when the brain is struggling to process stress or severe trauma. But for some people, the bad dreams essentially become a learned behavior, and the brain gets stuck in a pattern of troubling nightmares.

In the past, therapists have encouraged patients to talk about their nightmares in hopes of resolving the underlying issues that cause them. But more recently, therapists have adopted “imagery rehearsal therapy,” a pioneering technique developed by Dr. Barry Krakow at the University of New Mexico School of Medicine.

Instead of focusing on the bad dream, imagery therapy looks for ways to rewrite a nightmare’s script. The concern is that talking too much about a troubling dream may serve to reinforce it. Imagery rehearsal therapy allows the dreamer to rewrite the nightmare during the day. After practicing basic imagery techniques — imagining yourself on a beach or eating a hamburger, for example — the troubled dreamer chooses a better version of the dream, explains Shelby Harris, clinical psychologist at the Sleep-Wake Disorders Center at Montefiore Hospital in New York.

“We mention the nightmare once and forget about it,” Dr. Harris said. “I tell patients to change it anyway they wish. You can change a tiny bit of it, or change the whole thing.”

The key is to “practice” the new version of the dream by imagining it a few times during the day. While the method is highly successful, helping about 70 percent of people who try it, it can work differently in different people. Some develop the ability to change the nightmare while they are having it. One patient of Dr. Harris was troubled by a dream in which she was attacked by sharks. During imagery therapy, the patient chose to change the sharks into dolphins. When she started to have the nightmare during her sleep, the sharks also changed into dolphins.

Other sufferers notice that after therapy the nightmares disappear and the general quality of all their dreams starts to turn more positive. The therapy treatment is typically brief, lasting only two or three sessions. Children can also be taught the technique.

“Practicing imagery during the day and changing imagery can really affect your imagery at night,” Dr. Harris said.

Dr. Harris said people suffering from occasional nightmares can try rewriting the script of their nightmares on their own. But people who are waking often from nightmares or who are developing insomnia or a fear of sleeping should seek professional help before the problem becomes severe.

“If you’re having a nightmare at night, you’re waking up, which makes you tired during the day, and you’re thinking about it,” Dr. Harris said. “Because it’s distressing, that causes more stress, which can cause more nightmares at night. It’s a cycle many people can’t break.”

To learn more, visit Dr. Krakow’s Nightmare Treatment Center Web page and take the nightmare quiz to help determine your risk for a nightmare disorder. And read Natalie Angier’s recent column on nightmares.

I have recurring nightmare, screaming, yelling but cannot remember the nightmare. My husband says i wake up yelling at someone but i don't remember any of it. I have been doing this for awhile Mary

NightOwl

Thank you so much for this post David. I've read about Imagery Rehearsal Therapy a little while ago and thought it would be something I would be very interested in. I'm getting on well with using CBT (self-taught), although I am still looking for a therapist that is good at CBT techniques, but would like to find out more about how to change the worst nightmares I have; I'm a sufferer of PTSD. :)

NightOwl

NightOwl

Does anybody know of any good books on Image Rehearsal Therapy techniques that I could read as I am in an isolated area and anything that can help would be most appreciated? :)

Many thanks

NightOwl

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
This book is a bit expensive and perhaps more technical but does have a section in image rehearsal therapy: Cognitive Therapy and Dreams.

Here is a chapter by Barry Krakow: Cognitive Therapy and Dreams - Google Book Search in Google Books

Dr. Krakow also has a website at Welcome to the Center with a quiz.

The book, Dreamwork: Around the World and Across Time, is a general book about different aspects and theories of dreams, going back to Freud, but it includes chapters on Defusing nightmares and Nightmares & PTSD treatment with imagery rehearsal therapy (also available at Dreamwork - Blue Dolphin Publishing).

Finally, there are a number of websites and reviews, how-tos, etc., you can browse at "imagery rehearsal therapy" - Google Search.

NightOwl

Thank you very much David for your reply. I'll look into all these possibilities. I've found that by a better understanding of PTSD I can work with rather than against it but at times it seems as if it is slow progress. I've been told I have done very well - maybe I'm just being a little impatient.

I really appreciate your site, it's given me a lot of help and hope.

NightOwl :)

I am amazed and happy this morning . I read this article a few days ago as I have very frequent exhausting nightmares, exhausting because they stay with me the following day. Last night I had yet another nightmare, and in the middle of it, I said as a sort of bystander, "You can make this a good dream" and it turned into a pleasant experience.

On waking I had a very vivid memory of what I had said and the turn around from nightmare to nice dream.

I find this amazing and astounding as I hadn't done any preparation exercises before going to bed. Generally I put of sleeping as long as possible, due to the nightmares. This new possibilty of rewriting the up till now imposed night terrors opens up a whole new way of being. I haven't yet absorbed all the positive implications. :) I just feel elated today.

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
I am amazed and happy this morning . I read this article a few days ago as I have very frequent exhausting nightmares, exhausting because they stay with me the following day. Last night I had yet another nightmare, and in the middle of it, I said as a sort of bystander, "You can make this a good dream" and it turned into a pleasant experience.

I am so happy you were able to turn your nightmare around. I will surely attempt to try this tecnhique

Generally I put of sleeping as long as possible, due to the nightmares.

I do the same thing. I find the less time I have laying in bed, not sleeping, the better. Otherwise my thoughts race and I tend to get nightmares.

Probably not the best technique, I find if I stagger exhausted into bed and sleep almost as soon as I hit the pillow, my sleep tends to be more peaceful.

I just feel elated today.

I am so happy for you White Page. I am glad you found a way to have peace in your sleep. :support:

Thanks NicNak,

I do hope that it works for you too, I relate to everything you say, I tried many different things in the past, to avoid the bad dreams, the only thing that worked, when I didn't remember the dreams were sleeping pills, but I felt so blah the next day that I stopped taking them after a couple of weeks.

I shall tonight do a couple of think of and have nice dreams exercices and see how it goes. Go for it NN , it's certainly worth trying :)

Mashka

Lately I've been having these really, really terrifying nightmares-but they're only terrifying for me, its things that normally wouldnt scare anyone else but i wake up in a panic, except for last nights dream, that would scare some people, but i never used to have nightmares with violence in them before, could this be a result of my medication? (Clonazepam)

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
Lately I've been having these really, really terrifying nightmares-but they're only terrifying for me, its things that normally wouldnt scare anyone else but i wake up in a panic, except for last nights dream, that would scare some people, but i never used to have nightmares with violence in them before, could this be a result of my medication? (Clonazepam)

I personally have not had nightmares with Clonazepam. Infact is it is opposite for me. If I am anxious before bed and I take a Clonazepam it actually helps me have a more restful and relaxing sleep.

I do wake up a bit more dopey though, but I take mine as needed basis.

Mashka

I used to take it before bed because I couldnt sleep, but because I have school in the morning I started skipping my morning classes because I was so tired, so I had to stop taking it before bed.

That's pretty neat Nicnak,

You managed to achieve lucid dreaming by being aware of the fact that you were dreaming and actually being able to change the course of it.

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
That's pretty neat Nicnak,

You managed to achieve lucid dreaming by being aware of the fact that you were dreaming and actually being able to change the course of it.

It was actually White Page who managed to turn her dream around. But I am sure she will appreciate the compliment :)

It sure is amazing she was able to turn the course of the dream. I agree.

On waking I had a very vivid memory of what I had said and the turn around from nightmare to nice dream.

I find this amazing and astounding as I hadn't done any preparation exercises before going to bed. Generally I put of sleeping as long as possible, due to the nightmares. This new possibilty of rewriting the up till now imposed night terrors opens up a whole new way of being. I haven't yet absorbed all the positive implications. :) I just feel elated today.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.