More threads by Ashley-Kate

When someone has an eating disorder is that like a sticker on the forehead telling all Dr's. to stay away, all psychologists to step back..

I am being transfered yet again. I have an evaluation appointment next week at a hospital. I hate being in therapy in a hospital i guess mostly because you are just so close to the in-patient possibility. When you have therapy outside of hospitals you are "safer". It makes no sense but to me i feel safer. i have been hospitalized so many times that when i go in a hospital i freak out.

In the past 11 years i have been in many different programs and therapists. i get mad because people wounder why i am losing hope when they keep shipping me off to someone new every 6 months. So next Tuesday i have a 2 hour appointment with a new guy... my current psychologist won't be there. I am not the type of person that talks to anyone much especially some guy i never met and i a really scared because he already knows so much about me because my psychologist sent information and spoke to them so i am scared...

Re: sad

I am sorry to hear you struggling Ashley-Kate this new therapist may have a different perspective on ways to help. Your Psychologist has educated him about your situation so hopefully you will not have to answer too many questions. I am sorry your frightened but know both your psychologist and the new therapist will have your best interest and will want to give you the best support there is. Stay positive and know you will have support here to get you through these changes will pray all goes well mary

Re: sad

Hi Ashley-kate,

Is this a permanent change or only temporary?

As I am sure you know your psychologist is doing this with your best interest in mind. Perhaps your psychologist feels this doctor might be better suited to meet your needs. Maybe some comfort can come from thinking about what you have already discussed with your therapist and that he or she has forwarded that information to this doctor so he will be up to date so to speak.

Also remember they want to help you and mean you no harm so be honest with them about how you feel about this situation when you go to the appointment. Maybe he can help give you some peace of mind about the purpose of this change and what direction he wants to take and why. It's a new therapist and even though it's a bit intimidating having to deal with someone new there is also room for hope in that he might be easier to work with.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
When someone has an eating disorder is that like a sticker on the forehead telling all Dr's. to stay away, all psychologists to step back.

That's really not true, Ashley. I know it's hard to keep starting with someone new but if the current therapist doesn't feel s/he knows how to help you it would really be unethical and unfair to you not to try to find someone with more expertise or more experience with your specific issues to see you.

For example, I'm not an expert in eating disorders, although I have seen clients with eating disorders to help them with depression or anxiety issues, etc. If someone came to me with anorexia, I would encourage that person to see someone else (and provide suggestions for a referral) either instead of me or as well as me if there were other issues they wanted to address specifically with me.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.