More threads by butterfly88

butterfly88

An old friend recently took his own life only after attempting to kill his former girlfriend, with whom he was still on very friendly terms.

The news reports conjured up images of an extremely violent scene - (I won't go into details). And it was incomprehensible to me - and I couldn't (can't) reconcile the man I knew with this senseless act of violence perpetrated on another and then himself. The victim of his attack herself was completely shocked, as he had never demonstrated any aggression, violence etc. He had no criminal record of any kind and was just an all around great person - happy, loving, social - and gave the all time best hugs. So none of this makes any sense.

Then I found out that there is a positive family history of schizophrenia. And while no one will either confirm nor deny if he, himself was diagnosed, my brother and other close friends revealed that he was showing signs of paranoia. This knowledge doesn't make me feel any better about the loss - but it does answer that question - "Why?" - though not fully.

I guess I don't know enough about schizophrenia to understand the total break from reality that would lead someone to engage in such egregious behavior. I am trying to understand it. And it's the only thing that makes sense in this case. If the man that I knew was of sound mind - he never would have done this. The demons he was fighting overtook and ultimately conquered him. And we all want him back ...

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Dr. E. Fuller Torrey has a blog at Treatment Advocacy Center where he discusses issues like this as part of his campaign to raise awareness about schizophrenia and to promote mandatory treatment legislation.

The Treatment Advocacy Center (www.treatmentadvocacycenter.org) is a national nonprofit organization dedicated to eliminating barriers to the timely and effective treatment of severe mental illnesses. TAC promotes laws, policies, and practices for the delivery of psychiatric care and supports the development of innovative treatments for and research into the causes of severe and persistent psychiatric illnesses, such as schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. The American Psychiatric Association honored TAC for "extraordinary advocacy." TAC president Dr. E. Fuller Torrey: "Until we find the causes and definitive treatments for schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, we have an obligation to those who are suffering to try to improve their lives. TAC is the only organization willing to take on this fight, and I am very proud to be part of it."

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.