More threads by NightOwl

NightOwl

Hello,

I haven't been very active on this board for a while, due to a lot of studying. I'd like to say Thank You firstly for an excellent forum.

I wonder if anyone could help me? I'm looking for a recommendation for a book for a secondary survivor of a rape victim / survivor to help them understand and to be able to help. I want a book that is more dealing with the practicality of PTSD and how to cope with it, rather than a clinical book, designed for therapists. More of a layman's guide.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

NightOwl:read2:

NightOwl

Thank you so much for the recommendation Braveheart, I'll look into that. I'm the survivor and have studied quite a bit on trauma for a survivor, and my husband is trying to help me, but if I had a book, suitable for a secondary survivor, that I could give him, then I think that would help. We're both working on this together.

At the moment I've been reading "Coping with Trauma, Hope through Understanding" by Jon G. Allen, Ph.D and I've found that very good.

Also I'm trying to find anything to help with coping with nightmares, flashbacks, panic attacks, etc that come with the trauma. I've found some very good advice here on this forum already on this, for which I'm very grateful.

NightOwl

NightOwl

Thank you very much David for the links. I'm still looking into all possibilities for books and working out which one will be the best for my husband.

I think he is also trying to cope with his own emotions as the man that attacked me worked for us, and feels that he should have seen the signs and taken action and got rid of him.

It seems to be quite a complex problem. Thank you for all your help.

NightOwl

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.