More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Silent Crisis
Male mental health problems are going undiagnosed
Azadeh Samadi - Imprint

The mental health situation of males is being called a silent crisis. According to communityvoices.org, studies of depression show a major increase in depression among men. Traditionally, women suffer depression more often than men.

The greatest evidence of male vulnerability is in suicide statistics. Among Canadians of all ages, four of every five suicides are male.

Additionally, when it comes to chronic disease, men are slightly more likely to get high blood pressure or cancer, and twice as likely to consume more than five alcoholic drinks a day.

According to the Toronto Men's Health Network (TMHN) one reason for the increasing male depression rate is the low priority given to men's health issues in the research community. More funding and more experts in this area will support continuing research of male mental health.

Male and societal attitudes have fostered the silence about male depression.

"The women's health movement was very self-directed," said Dr. McCreary, co-chair of TMHN, associate editor of the International Journal of Men's Health and one of a small handful of men's health researchers in Canada.

"Women banded together to work on problems with health delivery. Men don't want to do that. We have a culture in our society that men have to be tough; men have to be strong. Our society is very good at punishing gender deviation in men. Weakness is not considered to be masculine."

...more of this article

Similar threads

Aging and Anorexia: Silent Crisis of Eating Disorders in Older Women? by Pamela Cytrynbaum, Psychology Today March 6, 2012 Are older women silently starving themselves? National Eating Disorders Awareness Week just ended and I think that should be the beginning of our conversation, not the end. There is a lot of helpful information available on how younger and younger kids are struggling with eating disorders, how 5-year-old girls are saying they are "fat" and how boys are now...
Replies
Views
Men's mental health, a silent crisis June 14, 2004 It's being called a silent crisis, a sleeper issue. But there are signs that this sleeper is at last awakening. Around the world studies, surveys, web networks, journals and newspaper articles are shedding light on a shadowy subject: men's mental health. Among the findings is the revelation that new fathers are also vulnerable to postpartum depression. In Canada, young and middle-aged men are being hospitalized for schizophrenia in...
Replies
Views
Why children stay silent following sexual violence by Kristin Jones, TEDTalks Nov 13, 2020
Replies
Views
Migraine Linked to Double Risk for Silent Stroke Medscape Medical News May 20, 2014 Adults with migraine have an increased risk for ischemic silent brain infarction relative to their migraine-free peers, a new study confirms. "Migraine is a neurovascular condition of the brain, with a small increased risk of silent brain infarctions, a risk factor for clinical stroke," lead author Teshamae Monteith, MD, assistant professor of clinical neurology and chief of the Headache Division at the...
Replies
Views
Dr. Kamkar's article permeates my thoughts along these same lines. Admitting that a person suffers from a mental illness is detrimental to holding a job or in being accepted in our communities. In the United States, people just don't talk about their issues. The common lingo that is shared around offices is "I'm fine;" "Everything's cool;" or "I'm great." There are still days when I'm depressed or the medication is causing me to feel sleepy. I wish that hat I could stay home for day...
Replies
Views

Latest posts