More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Social Security Disability: Ticket to Work
by Bipolar Beat
January 24, 2013

The Social Security Administration?s Ticket to Work program enables those who receive disability benefits to try to transition back into the workplace without the risk or fear of losing their benefits. Ticket to Work offers the following:

• Support: An employment network (EN) that contracts with the Social Security Administration offers career counseling, job placement, and ongoing support services.
  • Nine-month trial work period (TWP): The TWP allows you to test your ability to work for at least nine months. During your TWP, you will receive full SSDI benefits no matter how much you earn as long as your work activity is reported and you have a disabling impairment.
  • Expedited Reinstatement (EXR) of benefits: If your benefits stopped because of your earnings level, you can request to have your benefits reinstated without having to complete a new application. While Social Security determines your benefits reinstatement, you are eligible to receive temporary benefits for up to six months.
  • Protection from Medical Continuing Disability Reviews (CDR): You will not have to undergo a medical continuing disability review (CDR) while participating in the Ticket to Work program.
For additional details, including information on how to sign up for a free Webinar on how the program works, visit Ticket to Work.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Employment Network Directory for Ticket to Work

A few of the employment networks, such as AAATakeCharge, share a large percentage of the financial incentives that the Social Security Administration provides to the employment network.

---------- Post Merged at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:50 PM ----------

A positive "review" of AAATakeCharge from a congressional hearing in 2011:

AAATakeCharge Shared Payment Model

One interesting approach is that offered by AAATakeCharge. Over 25% of beneficiaries assigning their Tickets have selected the AAATakeCharge Employment Network (EN) model. AAATakeCharge gives the beneficiary 75% of the Ticket payments with the requirement that the funds must be spent on goods and services that will help them remain in the workforce or advance in their career.

Many people attempting work after years of unemployment have very limited resources. If their car breaks down, if their mother becomes sick and can’t take care of their kids, if they can’t pay their cell phone bill and their employer can’t reach them, they lose their job. AAATakeCharge provides work support payments only if clients reach certain earning milestones or go off benefits all together. Clients use the money for transportation, business clothing, technology, education/training, health costs, disability related expenses or any unexpected emergency that would interfere with their being able to work.

The appeal of this cash and counseling model is that the support is very flexible. And the client makes the decisions as to how the funds should be spent. According to MJ Willard, AAATakeCharge Director, AAATakeCharge client’s go off benefits at more than twice the rate of any other EN in the country.

http://waysandmeans.house.gov/UploadedFiles/TTWWIIATest.pdf

Personally, I signed up with them today. They do not directly provide "hands on" assistance like other employment networks (ENs). But in theory they may pay me over $11,000 over four years or so (compared to nothing at all at the other ENs). So, for now, I will just pay for resume services on my own (only $15 on eBay) and be compensated for it later.

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Upcoming and archived webinars.

The next one is tomorrow (2/24/16) and is on getting hired by federal contractors:

Section 503 is a regulation that prohibits federal contractors and subcontractors from discriminating against people with disabilities and requires these employers to take action to recruit, hire, promote, and retain more people with disabilities. The presentation will include information on:

• What Section 503 changes mean for Social Security disability beneficiaries;
  • Tips for self-identification during the application and hiring process; and
  • Tips on how demonstrate your skills and abilities at a virtual job fair.

---------- Post Merged at 08:32 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:54 AM ----------

Basically what I got in the mail yesterday after signing up for the TTW program:

Timely Progress Requirements for Ticket Users

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
I am very excited. Thanks to my new "security blanket" of the TTW program and after working a few years now as a part-time caregiver, I have become less anxious about full-time employment. So, for the first time in over 12 years, I have accepted a full-time job.

For the first nine months (during the trial work period), I will be getting my regular SSDI check, a bonus from my TTW program ($200/mo on average from AAATakeCharge), and every dime of my pay checks. After that, I still get the $200/month bonus for several years, which can help pay for any work-promoting expenses such as auto expenses (gas, repairs), cell phone bills, clothes for work, any therapy or medication co-payments, career-related books and education, etc.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
UPDATE: Social Security has been good to me so far. I am working over 70 hours a week (as a caregiver), and they are keeping me in the trial work period as promised for a total of 9 months.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
This Ticket-to-Work program has been a dream come true. I have been working for the last year now full time (and overtime) and have not had any problems with Social Security.

And there was a happy surprise: an extra 3 months of SSDI payments in addition to the 9-month trial work period. They don't advertise that for some reason but did mention it in my last letter from them. My guess is they do that to help prevent disputes and to help people adjust.

Even though I am now passed the trial work period, I will still get $200 a month for 3 years or so from the Ticket to Work program I signed up with (AAATakeCharge). And my Social Security would resume automatically if I stopped working.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
The vocational rehab company, AAATakeCharge, is using a new policy with Social Security that makes it much easier to get reimbursement for work-related expenses. You can get your therapist/doctor/nurse or any other licensed health professional to vouch that you need to use your personal vehicle to get to work, such as if public transportation is an issue. You get reimbursed 53 cents per mile (up to the maximum amount you have been approved to receive in incentives for continuing to work).

They estimate 90% of the clients will qualify for using their personal vehicle as an "impairment related work expense." This way, you get approved automatically in the future for reimbursement without having to submit gas receipts, etc., as long as you continue to work.

In my case, it is easy since there is no public transportation in my rural area.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
My notes about a separate but related issue in the US:

WIOA provides 100% financial aid for vocational job training (such as CNA school, beauty school, massage therapy licensure training, community college vocational training, etc), especially for those who are receiving unemployment, SSI, EBT, or who are otherwise low income.

Those with disabilities (mental or physical) do not need to have their household income factored in except for their own income.

Veterans who are low income are given the most priority, followed by others who are low income.

Those who have income more than 200 percent of the poverty line can also receive such training if funds are available.

More info:

5 Things You Should Know about WIOA - ED.gov Blog

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
More about WIOA in the US:

I just went to my local job development office for an orientation. They will pay up to $4,000 for vocational training. This will allow me to get a CNA license (about $1400 in training and certification) so I get paid more, even doing the same thing I was doing before.

You have to commit to working full time, which is not a problem for me. Otherwise, they said I could look into vocational rehabilitation from the state's Department of Economic Security since I have a mental disability.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Social Security's Ticket to Work program through AAATakeCharge continues to be amazing.

Below is the current payout schedule, totaling up to $12,000 over a 4.5+ year period.

(These payments are in addition to the SSDI payments one continues to receive during trial work periods.)

Attachments

• AA-Payment-Chart-2018-11-2017 (6).pdf
    330.9 KB · Views: 6

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Persons with disabilities - Find your fit in the federal government - Go Government

As a result of Executive Order 13548, the federal government is actively increasing efforts to recruit and hire individuals with disabilities for all levels and occupations. As an individual with a disability, you have access to specific programs and hiring authorities that can assist you in securing federal employment...

Proof of disability can be satisfied with a simple letter stating that you have a disability from your doctor, a licensed medical professional, a licensed rehabilitation professional, or any entity that issues or provides disability benefits. The letter does not need to detail your medical history, or your need for an accommodation...

Disclosure, or sharing information about your disability with others, by law, is a personal decision that individuals must make for themselves. An interviewer is prohibited from asking you questions about your disability that are not relevant to job responsibilities. An interviewer should ask questions about your qualifications and how you can perform the essential functions of the job. During a job interview, you should present yourself in a positive manner, emphasizing your abilities and assets. You are not required to talk about your disability during an interview...

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
:woohoo1: My future Social Security for retirement has gone up over $500/month since working over 2 years ago. This is the same amount for SSDI.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Social Security updates this amount each year at this time of year, based on earnings from the last year. In this case, 2017's earnings.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
More about WIOA in the US:

I just went to my local job development office for an orientation. They will pay up to $4,000 for vocational training. This will allow me to get a CNA license (about $1400 in training and certification) so I get paid more, even doing the same thing I was doing before.

You have to commit to working full time, which is not a problem for me. Otherwise, they said I could look into vocational rehabilitation from the state's Department of Economic Security since I have a mental disability.

Though I didn't go through with getting the subsidized vocational training through the federal WIOA program (due to the paperwork involved and finding a different job), I really enjoyed the job/career placement testing they provided for free. The social worker was very nice, though obviously overwhelmed with her caseload.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.