More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Spanking Toddlers Makes for More Aggressive 5-Year-Olds
by Caroline Cassels, Medscape Medical News
April 20, 2010

Children who are spanked frequently at the age of 3 years are more likely to be aggressive at the age of 5 years, new research suggests.

Investigators at Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine found frequent spanking at the age of 3 years, defined as more than twice within the previous month, was associated with a 50% increased risk of aggression at the age of 5 years.
"The current findings suggest that even minor forms of corporal punishment, such as spanking, increase risk for increased child aggressive behavior," the study authors, led by Janet C. Rick, PhD, write.

The study was published online April 12 in Pediatrics.

Despite controversy surrounding its use and recommendations from American Academy of Pediatrics and other professional organizations, many parents in the United States used corporal punishment (CP) as a method of discipline. Estimates range from 35% to 90%, and results of a 2005 US poll showed 72% of adults believed it was "OK to spank a child."
Although a number of previous studies have demonstrated a link between the use of CP and subsequent aggression in children, investigators say this is the first study to simultaneously control for factors such as baseline aggression, demographics, and a large number of potential parental risk confounders.

To determine whether use of CP at the age of 3 years was associated with an increased risk of aggression at the age of 5 years after controlling for other potential risk factors, the researchers obtained a sample of children from the Fragile Families and Child Well-being Study, a population-based, cohort study of families from 20 large cities in the United States.

Two interviews were conducted with 2461 mothers when their children were 3 and 5 years of age. The investigators assessed maternal reports of CP, children's aggressive behaviors at 3 and 5 years of age, and a host of key demographic features and potential confounding factors, including maternal child physical maltreatment, psychological maltreatment and neglect, intimate partner aggression and violence, stress, depression, alcohol and drug use, and consideration of abortion were all assessed.

A total of 45.6% of the mothers reported no use of spanking in the previous month, 27.9% reported spanking 1 or 2 times, and 26.5% reported spanking more than twice.
All 8 of the maternal parenting risk factors for child aggression were significantly associated with CP use and child aggression. However, the investigators note that even after controlling for all of these maternal parenting risks, more frequent use of CP in 3-year-olds increased the odds of these children being more aggressive at the age of 5 years.

"This study adds to the growing body of literature suggesting that parental use of CP may lead to increased child aggression. This evidence base suggests that primary prevention of violence can start with efforts to prevent the use of CP against children," the investigators write.

I hate to sound judgemental, but I hate spanking and I don't understand why people do it. I am so shocked that it is as common as it is in the US and so sad that people defend it so fiercely. I hope it will be made illegal one day. I really do. Then there would be no question about whether or not if it is ok to do it because it would be against the law. I know people would do it anyway, but some would not. If that makes any sense. :(

Banned

Banned
I think spanking always has been, and likely always will be, a controversial topic. Many would argue "spare the rod and spoil the child" while others feel very strongly that spanking has no place in our society.

The literature is supporting more and more the negative effects of spanking, and maybe one day we will find better, more effective ways to deal with negative behaviours.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
maybe one day we will find better, more effective ways to deal with negative behaviours.

We already have better and more effective ways. These have always existed. The trick is getting parents to see the damage they do with corporal punishment, starting by helping them to see children as human beings needing guidance rather than "little brats who need to be taught a lesson".

Banned

Banned
We already have better and more effective ways.

This is true...and yes, the trick is definitely in the educational component, and getting parents to break the cycle and understand that just because it's the way it's always been done, doesn't mean it's the best way.

busybee

Hey all, when i read posts like this and look back at myself and my poor parenting skills I have both spanked my two older sons, in the early 80's when a book came out called toddler taming, This is one of the first books that I can recall that talked about time out etc. So there is a gap of about 5-7 years between my older boys and my two youngest. The parenting we provided to the two sets of children vastly differed and I would have to say that it is sad that my oldest boys got the raw deal. We did the best we knew of at the time.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.