More threads by Courtneyyy

Courtneyyy

Hi.

I’m struggling today. Came out of hospital yesterday and I don’t think coming out has helped anything. I’m struggling like mad but I have to stay safe because I don’t want to be sectioned under the mental health act because my babies need me. Life is so painful

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Sorry to hear you are struggling right now.

I have dealt with periods of suicidal thoughts throughout my adult life. During these down times, I do find it helpful to read the positive words of others, since I am not as capable of thinking clearly. Though I am American, watching old British comedies (like "Keeping Up Appearances") also helps with my mood.

For me, the most important things are often the little things. Like listening to music or having the TV on in the background so I don't feel as lonely. Having a hot cup of coffee, tea, or hot chocolate. Taking medications as prescribed (which is especially important now). Getting some sun (or feeling a cool breeze) or going to a local shop. Having some hot comfort food. Talking to someone on the phone.

Do you have an upcoming appointment with a therapist or psychiatrist? Getting setup with outpatient help is usually the most important thing during or after discharge -- in addition to taking the medications as prescribed. You can also contact the hospital if you need help setting up an appointment with someone.

If you do need to go back to the hospital at some point, do you have any family members or friends or neighbors who can take care of your pets? Here, there are also local pet rescues that provide free temporary boarding for such situations.

Courtneyyy

Sorry to hear you are struggling right now.

I have dealt with periods of suicidal thoughts throughout my adult life. During these down times, I do find it helpful to read the positive words of others, since I am not as capable of thinking clearly. Though I am American, watching old British comedies (like "Keeping Up Appearances") also helps with my mood.

For me, the most important things are often the little things. Like listening to music or having the TV on in the background so I don't feel as lonely. Having a hot cup of coffee, tea, or hot chocolate. Taking medications as prescribed (which is especially important now). Getting some sun (or feeling a cool breeze) or going to a local shop. Having some hot comfort food. Talking to someone on the phone.

Do you have an upcoming appointment with a therapist or psychiatrist? Getting setup with outpatient help is usually the most important thing during or after discharge -- in addition to taking the medications as prescribed. You can also contact the hospital if you need help setting up an appointment with someone.

If you do need to go back to the hospital at some point, do you have any family members or friends or neighbors who can take care of your pets? Here, there are also local pet rescues that provide free temporary boarding for such situations.

Hi there,

I have taken my prescription of psychotic medication so hopefully that helps. My neighbour can look after my three dogs yes. I’m at an appointment I forgot I had until a hour ago I remembered so hopefully that goes well. Thanks Daniel,

Courtney

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Your appointment did not go well?

Do you have other social support you can lean on?

What helped you the most while you were in the hospital? Structure, social support, feeling safe? Is there a particular reason you don't feel safe now?

Courtneyyy

Your appointment did not go well?

Do you have other social support you can lean on?

What helped you the most while you were in the hospital? Structure, social support, feeling safe? Is there a particular reason you don't feel safe now?

That I might hurt myself is the big reason why I don’t feel great. But, I was kept in by doctors but then let go. My meeting went ok didn’t get advice or support I thought I would get as I’ve been in hospital and had to have stitches

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Have you tried DBT self-help? At least in the US, more and more hospitals have been having DBT programs, which continue on an outpatient basis with group classes, individual therapy, etc.

I have learned DBT just from online videos and readings:

One of the basic ideas in DBT is that people with mental illness need to learn skills for coping with their turbulent emotions. And they are usually not taught these skills to a sufficient degree, even by well-meaning therapists.

Just watching TV can be a good way of regulating emotions. Some people have found that holding a piece of ice helps -- as a sensory alternative to self-injury.

These are basic things but they can make all the difference in times of crisis -- a way to buy time until one's days are more calm/stable.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
You're welcome. Marsha Linehan, who founded DBT, has helped many people feel less alone in their darkest moments. She is very big on validation: having people understand that their suicidal thoughts and impulses for self-harm are understandable and valid (even though these things are ultimately not helpful or effective). Such validation/acceptance of one's thoughts and feelings can help break a cycle of shame that keeps self-injury going.

Marsha Linehan is all over Youtube:

There are also DBT apps.

There is also something similar to DBT called ACT, but DBT still seems more popular.

Courtneyyy

You're welcome. Marsha Linehan, who founded DBT, has helped many people feel less alone in their darkest moments. She is very big on validation: having people understand that their suicidal thoughts and impulses for self-harm are understandable and valid (even though these things are ultimately not helpful or effective). Such validation/acceptance of one's thoughts and feelings can help break a cycle of shame that keeps self-injury going.

Marsha Linehan is all over Youtube:

There are also DBT apps.

There is also something similar to DBT called ACT, but DBT still seems more popular.

Thank you🥰🥰

Courtneyyy

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Another thing that helped me (last year during the pandemic for my OCD and depression):

I had a twice-weekly online mindfulness/yoga class I went to. I also attended a couple weekly therapy groups via Zoom for a while before just doing individual therapy.

I also had a routine where I went to my favorite sandwich and coffee shop at least a few times a week.

So it was like my own retreat or rehab program where I was staying positive by being scheduled to do at least one social activity each day for my mental health.

Last edited:
Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.