More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
What I Never Expected When I Watched the Video Music Awards
by jennymarie4, Peace from Panic
August 29, 2017

Sunday night my husband, daughter, and I tuned in to MTV?s Video Music Awards. It was fun to watch Katy Perry, Pink, Demi Lovato, and Miley Cyrus perform. I love to see what everyone is wearing and their hair and makeup.

Later in the show, I didn?t expect it to take a serious and emotional turn ? advocating for mental health awareness.

I never thought the VMAs would take my breath away.

It started when Kesha spoke. She said, ?Whatever you are going through, however dark it may seem, there is an undeniable truth and strength in the fact that you are not alone. We all have struggles, and as long as you never give up on yourself, light will break through the darkness.?

Then she introduced a rapper named Logic. I have to admit, I didn?t know of him, but of course my 22-year-old daughter did. Logic was joined by singers Alessia Cara and Khalid.

The song is titled 1-800-273-8255. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline.

The stage was covered with the phone number. Logic sang his heart-wrenching lyrics with so much intensity, I was in awe. So were many others. Cameras scanned the crowd, and showed people tearing up as they watched and listened.

That wasn?t all.

Dozens of suicide attempt survivors went onstage. They wore t-shirts that had the suicide hotline number on the front. On the back, the shirts read, "YOU ARE NOT ALONE".

One of the survivors broke down and cried as she heard the powerful lyrics:

I know where you been, where you are, where you goin?
I know you?re the reason I believe in life
What?s the day without a little night?
I?m just tryna shed a little light
It can be hard
It can be so hard
But you gotta live right now
You got everything to give right now

The message of hope and the importance of reaching out for help was heard by millions of people around the world. Another step toward ending the stigma.

I want you to be alive
You don?t gotta die today

I was inspired by Logic?s speech after his performance:

?I just want to take a moment right now and thank you all so much for giving me a platform to talk about something that mainstream media doesn?t want to talk about,? he said. ?Mental health, anxiety, suicide, depression and so much more that I talk about on this album.?

MTV released a statement that said Logic?s passionate performance ?helped drive a 50% spike in call volume to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline in the hours following the show.?

Thank you, Logic. Thank you for speaking out.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
“While his song has certainly prompted more persons to contact the Lifeline over the past few months, its greater message that healing and hope are happening for people in a suicidal crisis has a broader public health impact that can’t fully be measured.”

-- Dr. John Draper, Director of the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.