More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Suicides Spur Discussion of Online Information in UK
Monday, March 31, 2008
by BlogMeister

Isolated and contemplating suicide, many teenagers use the Internet as a safety net. While webpages can be a healthy outlet and a source of support and advice, they are also often homes to malicious bullies and misinformation. After allegations that the string of suicides in Bridgend, Wales, was instigated by online pacts or encouragement, the British government commissioned an investigation into the ways that teenagers could and should be regulated on the Internet. The resulting report, Safer Children in a Digital World, was completed by Dr. Tanya Byron and presented to the British government last week.

The Safer Children report contains over 200 pages of analysis and recommendation, ranging in topic from online games to predation, but the sections on suicide have received the most media attention. Rather than repeat hysterical warnings about the danger of the Internet, Dr. Byron presents a balanced breakdown of benefits and risks.

First off, Dr. Byron calls for a tighter definition of illegal suicide assistance so that police and moderators can figure out exactly what to report. Currently, there is a lot of confusion over what to do about websites that offer advice on methods of suicide. Dr. Byron points out the dangers of such sites, but goes on to posit that sites that do not go so far as to discuss methods should not be shut down. Her contention is that banning discussion deprives youths of vital space to share their dark thoughts and will only result in the problem being ignored until it is too late.

Rather than totally ban dialogue of suicide, Dr. Byron recommends training moderators to sensitively monitor discussions and intervene only when necessary. When human moderators are not possible, she recommends at least offering links to mental health resources. All of this can be achieved, according to the report, by cooperating with helpful non-profit organizations.

The British educational secretary, Ed Balls, praised the report and promised that its chief recommendations would be implemented. The American government should pay careful attention to the results, because teenagers in every country may be saved by gentle supervision rather than draconian censorship. Those in Generation X and after have grown up relying on an online social network, and parents and governments would be wiser to bolster that network rather than destroy the benefits in the charge to root out the dangers. Rather than see the Internet as a frightening new threat, we can view it as useful tool for helping teenagers out of despair.

Mari

MVP
and parents and governments would be wiser to bolster that network rather than destroy the benefits in the charge to root out the dangers. Rather than see the Internet as a frightening new threat,

I am having trouble trying to decipher that quote although I think I understand the overall message. The UK is a step ahead of Canada in that they keep track of and investigate all suicides. I am still looking for contact with anyone in Canada concerned with this issue. :heart: Mari

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I think what they're saying is that, like cell phones and microwaves, the internet and social networking is a fact of life for young people, and if we want to have an impact we should utilize these media rather than trying to circumvent or destroy them. In other words, if you want to get a message out to young people, use the communication methods they are already using.

Mari

MVP
Thank-you. I received a response from the US today but still nothing from Canada. I am working with as many groups as possible just because I need to do this.
there is a lot of confusion over what to do about websites that offer advice on methods of suicide
Some of those sites are pretty horrific, not just in their content and graphics, but in their wanton disregard for human life. My son was actively discouraged from seeking help for his problems and actively encouraged to consider suicide as his best option. Talking about suicide and problem solving with other people in distress is probably not harmful. There are however a number of sites where the main purpose of the people who run the sites is to encourage as many suicides as possible and are willing to go to great lengths to do this. The US contact said they will let me know if they find any Canadian contacts and have asked me to reciprocate. Still looking. :heart: Mari

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.