More threads by healthbound

Anyone want a self esteem boost?

This is a thread for anyone wanting to read and discuss Ten Days to Self-Esteem by David D. Burns. I have not read it before, so I'm not entirely sure what to expect, but I figure only good can come of it.

Even if I'm the only one posting in this thread, I'll keep doing it until I finish the book (oh jeeze...now I'm committed :eek:). Please feel free to jump in anytime - regardless of whether you're reading the book or not :)

I'm just starting off by reading/doing "Step 1 The Price of Happiness" and will see how much I can get through today. I'll post more later!

Ya...ya...ya...mock if you will, people.
But I'll be tic-toc-techniquing my way to happiness within TEN short days, lol.

And I'll be ticin' yer toc if ya keep this up!
:yikes:

OK - so I finally read and did some of Part 1. I did the 3 assessment tests like I'm supposed to and I actually DID check one of the boxes (the author tells readers to decide how committed they are to doing something to change their self esteem and then asks them to check one of 3 boxes indicating if they are ready to take action. Then he makes a point by asking how many people actually checked one of the boxes = if ya didn't check-it maybe yer not ready to make changes).

We're supposed to do 3 assessment tests at least once a week while working through the book. Today I scored...
-19 (borderline to mild depression) on the Burns Depression Checklist
-58 (extreme anxiety or panic) on the Burns Anxiety Inventory
-41 (very satisfied) when considering my son on the Relationship Satisfaction Scale and
-10 (extremely dissatisfied) when considering my last relationship on the Relationship Satisfaction Scale.

I also wrote my 3 goals for completing the book, but I want to read them again tomorrow to see if I want to keep them.

General Comments for today
I already feel better cause I'm doing something towards change :)

I already feel better cause I'm doing something towards change

Yes this is the way we begin to rewrite our stories , seeing that there are choices and that it is up to us to decide which way we want to go, and no longer suffer from imposed ways of being .

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Ya...ya...ya...mock if you will, people.
But I'll be tic-toc-techniquing my way to happiness within TEN short days, lol.

And I'll be ticin' yer toc if ya keep this up!
:yikes:

I wasn't mocking you, B. I was reacting to Daniel's comment.

I haven't actually read the book, to be honest, although books by David Burns are usually excellent.

I wasn't mocking you, B. I was reacting to Daniel's comment.
I know...I know...I was just havin some fun.
But some of this stuff does seem pretty cheezy at first glance.
On the other hand, I have no problems with "cheezy" as long as it WORKS :)

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
A similar point from a review of the book:

This book is meant to accomplish very specific things, which are clearly outlined in the book, and it does those things extremely well...

This is not a superficial or simplistic book, though it is simple...

I've read hundreds of self-help books over the years, and many of them have fine ideas. Like diets, though, we don't DO them. The point of this book is to put Burns' lessons down on paper, because that's the only way you learn. Keeping it in your head simply does not work(I've tried), no matter who you are.(I have three Ivy League degrees blah blah, but that's not worth a hill of beans in emotional healing or learning how to have a mental, spiritual, and physical life coexist happily.) CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy)has been shown effective for people with not much education. It's the effort that counts, according to studies cited in his books.

Amazon.com: Ten Days to Self-Esteem: David D. Burns: Books

Last edited:
Just a quick update to let u guys know that I have NOT forgotten my commitment to work through this book. At the end of the first step it tells me to read chapter one of The Feeling Good Handbook so I had to dig through all my books to find it and then read it. I'm not finished chapter one yet, but will post when I do finish it :)

Sparrow

Hi there Healthbound,

In my travels today looking for "The Happiness Hypothesis", I came across a copy of "10 days". Holy Moley! :hair: I scanned it for 20 minutes in the bookstore and it reminded me a bit of the t/a (transactional analysis) I took years ago. 10 days? I would need 10 months! My :tiphat: to you.
Moreover, it is with respect that I know it can really prove to be an insightful reflection for others and a learning tool. 10 days? No matter the time... it's the benefit that counts. ;)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.