More threads by Always Changing

Subpersonality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A subpersonality is distinguished from a Dissociative Identity disorder (formerly: Multiple personality disorder) in that subpersonalities are merely personas or pieces of a whole, whereas DID is characterized by (at least) two separate and distinct personalities who have their own patterns of interacting with the environment.

This paragraph in the above article gave me a lot of reassurance and clarity. I hope by linking it (the full article or explanation) here it will (might) help some one else.

Also referenced in the same artice is
The most recent and widespread subpersonality method is Internal Family Systems Therapy, developed by Richard C. Schwartz.

---------- Post added at 12:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 PM ----------

The above ties in with this article posted by Daniel in Therapy and Therapists

http://forum.psychlinks.ca/therapy-...ed-to-know-about-the-family-in-your-mind.html

Justaday

I have found that Internal Family Systems Model super helpful. I don't know my whole system and I don't worry about that, but I am aware of fragmented parts and it was really important for me to know this about myself. It explained some of my trauma reactions to complex situations. Since acknowledging, respecting and integrating appropriate self-care, things are much calmer. If I'm handling things okay and am not in a dangerous, toxic situation, all is much more calm. I'm not dx'd with DID, but there has definitely been some fragmentation and splitting and that was causing confusion. That model helped me identify some parts, and using strategies for calming and being caring, compassionate towards these 'parts', eventually brought more calm. I think I've co-existed with a 10 year old ;) But adult self has gained more coping, awareness. I spent some time with an online "Coping with Dissociative Identity Disorder" group and found the support there was super-helpful, PTSD is not unrelated, particulary when there has been childhood trauma. I picked up some really helpful tips. I've had some experiences of multiple parts reacting to an extreme situation and remembering them from earlier situations. It was confusing, freaky to experience, DID group helped me in acceptance, which brought more calm.

amastie

Thank you AC.

I am *so* used to feeling defensive when it comes to the diagnosis of Dissociative Disorder probably because I have so very little support - not just for the diagnosis, but also for my experience which is constantly oppressive. In my defensiveness, I too quickly start to close up when the diagnosis is questioned, and I'm sorry for that. When I re-read your earlier words, and those of Daniel, on Internal Family Systems Therapy and also on the distinction between "sub-personalities and DID", I started to open to it more. I'm grateful now to be given something different to look at and I will also bring it up with my psychistrist who, I expect, will be familar with Family Systems Therapy even though I'm not. But I will read more about it now.

I must read more to see how my own experience ties in or not. As I may have said, although I was at first considered to be DID, I argued against that because I don't lose time - though I didn't remember the original abuse - or rather one of them - for over 20 years and I've only recently started to recall another. I'm not taken over completely (though the "personalities" as I call them, will when most strong, start to do that. At those times, they do seem to take on a fuller personality of their own.

There is much for me to think about.

Thank you again :)

Last edited:

Justaday

Good link, AC.
It's hard work. Definitely need to build up safety rituals to help ground while braving that exploration.

I'm struggling with some parts that's making it hard for me to leave the house. Old trauma but happened in adolescence (maybe or whatever younger parts were there. . ., I don't know). It's hard to push through it. I try to visualize it being safe, but I delay and feel stuck, fall into avoidance, distraction, to avoid. I think I have to write out my safety plans, travel routes get on paper and I guess see what comes up, if that'd be good enough to satisfy whatever is holding me back. And maybe start off small again, short outing, not bigger more complicated trip, try to build up. I do recall guardian/protector parts, "Intuition" and I know I can trust that, still takes some more convincing.

I also think this comes up, because it's also anniversary of a couple of traumatic losses, which I was aware the weather change triggers anxiety, reminders. I'm not sure if this other stuff, agoraphobic thing, just took off as a way to avoid the other stuff? I feel sad about it.

One day at a time, I guess. Try again.

amastie

Justaday,

I could write the same, almost word for word.

I'm struggling with parts that make it hard for me to tidy the house, among many other things. Also old trauma. I too use visualizatioin to help me feel safe, try to do things in a step by step fashion. I have guardian/protector parts but I admit not to feeling their presence for a while. I can understand how agoraphobia would help you avoid other stuff. I have other ways of avoiding. We all have ways of avoiding, even those who don't dissociate. I can only imagine that those of us who use more extreme forms of avoidance do so because we are avoiding what we experience as being more extreme.

I wish you and all well,

Justaday

Thanks amastie.

Something broke through for me. I think part of the problem was numbness (which I guess is related to avoidance). Something happened, unexpected validation which helped me cry-- that's a good thing, because it's some release, and it frees up some energy-- and whenever I get that, I try to make use of it (redirect it positively). I pushed myself out, even though I didn't enjoy it that much, but nothing terrible happened-- I did steal some moments of peace and calm (I don't like crowds, but I also worry being too far from them). I know I feel safer biking vs. walking, and having a clear route. I needed to focus on what I can do, let go of goals that felt unreachable, too overwhelming. Getting one thing accomplished, felt better, to have a sense of accomplishment (I also took some meds to help, especially since sleep has been difficult)

Avoidance happens for me because it's overwhelming, too many pieces. There's a collection of trauma, losses which are grief-related ( guilt, survival guilt, aweful anticipation, dread), then there's this other one, where I had to fight to protect myself, it brings intense fear, and also anger. Warped angry at myself and at the other (which is appropriate). I don't have it all resolved, but at least keeping the goals simpler, so I can accomplish moving a little bit, it feels better.

Also got this chronic pain (might be fibromyalgia or RA), but it keeps me down, even if I have a better mental day-- it gets frustrating. But decided I will use medications to help with that. And trying to do more breathing exercises. I finally did get out to a support group that I've been trying to get to for the past 6 months!

It helps to express things to others, for some reason, I guess it was taking a moment to stop avoiding! Sit with some of what's going on. ;)

Thanks

amastie

It helps to express things to others, for some reason, I guess it was taking a moment to stop avoiding! Sit with some of what's going on. ;)
Yes, I do too. Those of us who are able to write in forums like this are luckier than many. My heart goes out most to those who cannot speak at all about their experience, their fears and their isolation.
((( You're not aloine in your voice, nor in your experience )))

There is a wonderful little book called, "Our Many Selves" by Elizabeth O'Connor written in the early 70s. It is a collection of short essays written by a lot of different people with some original stuff by Ms. O'Connor. The gist of it is that all of us are made up of lots of different "selves" which is, I think, 70s speak for sub-personalities. Those parts which we do not like or accept as part of who we are we tend to project onto other people and then criticize. It is much easier to criticize the parts of our ourselves when we believe these parts are outside of ourselves. When we do this we create havoc in relationships.

I think sometimes talking to the subpersonalities help to control the confusion

i can relate to the one that has control seems like there is always that battle to keep control

Wish i could sit down and read but i can't

i use to love to read just to take in information not for reading sake but i can't do that now i just too tired

What i have read makes me feel less abnormal lets say If we all have these subpersonas i guess some are just more intuned to them then others
um

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.