More threads by Daniel E.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
The Ikea Factor: How to Deal with the Stress of Moving
by Chayim Newman, M.A.

...Moving can be a stressful experience for many people. According to the Holmes and Rahe Life Stress Scale – a measure of 43 different stressful life events that may contribute to physical illness – moving may be as stressful as, or more stressful than, changing your work situation, changing schools, or taking out a loan or mortgage! I notice myself feeling frustrated, worried and even angry at times. And as I observe my thoughts during those moments of intense (and rather unproductive) emotion, I found these to be some of my irrational beliefs.
  • “My furniture should have been delivered already. These movers are incompetent and they don’t care about me.”
  • “I must be fully unpacked before I can go back to doing any work or exercise.”
  • “The movers chipped the edge of my glass tabletop and that’s really terrible.”
  • “I’m now finding all these problems with the co-op that I wasn’t told about before I bought it. The seller is really a dishonest and lousy person.”
Basically, my thinking was filled with demands, global statements of others’ worth, and definitely some awfulizing...

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.