More threads by NicNak

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
The Virtues of Napping
Reader's Digest
October 2009

Naptime isn’t just for kids. Studies show that taking a mid-afternoon siesta boosts productivity and improves overall health. Check out these great reasons to nap.

Napping is Natural
We all have a built-in, physiological desire for a nap in the afternoon. When researchers had volunteers spend time in an underground room with no clocks or clues as to day or night and told them to sleep whenever they wanted, the subjects slept in two cycles: a longer session at night and a shorter period—a nap—during the day.

Fortunately, the myth that napping is wasted time may be changing, thanks to well-documented studies showing that short snoozes can improve mood, performance, and health. For example, nap-loving Latin Americans and Europeans usually score better on tests that measure stress than North Americans.

What’s more, studies at the University of California at San Diego show that the sooner you can recover from modest sleep losses, the faster you restore your immune response to normal and the better you are at problem solving.

Corporation Wakes Up
Several studies, including one conducted by the National Institute of Mental Health, have found that short power naps increase concentration and counteract stress, another immune-system depressor. That may explain why people who nap are not only more productive at work, they are absent less often.

Companies such as Nike, Ben & Jerry's have installed nap areas and encourage employees to use them. And ever since scientist Mark Rosekind, Ph.D., completed studies showing that pilots who take 40-minute sleep breaks on long flights fare better on vigilance, alertness, and decision-making tests, several European airlines now require their pilots to take time out for a mid-flight snooze. The National EMS Pilots Association NEMSPA is also recommending that emergency medical service pilots be allowed to sleep on duty.

Napping for Shift Workers
Naps also can improve health and most other aspects of life for the 2 million Canadians whose work schedules require them to be awake for night shifts or rotating shifts. Due to a preset morning waking mechanism in the body’s internal clock, many shift workers find it hard to sleep past noon even after an overnight shift.

By supplementing their morning sleep with a 15- to 20-minute nap before leaving for work, they can minimize their level of sleep deprivation.

A combination of naps and caffeine may provide the most benefits, according to a 2006 study at the Sleep Medicine and Research Center affiliated with St. John's Mercy Medical Center and St. Luke's Hospital in suburban St. Louis, MO. Researchers looked at the effectiveness of taking naps and consuming caffeine to cope with sleepiness during the night shift. They found that both naps and caffeine improved alertness and performance among night shift workers.

James K. Walsh, PhD, one of the researchers who conducted the study, explains, "Because of the body's propensity for sleep at night, being alert and productive on the night shift can be challenging, even if you've had enough daytime sleep. Napping before work combined with consuming caffeine while on the job is an effective strategy for remaining alert on the night shift."

So don't feel guilty, put your feet up and grab 20 winks before heading back to your inbox!

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
A combination of naps and caffeine may provide the most benefits, according to a 2006 study at the Sleep Medicine and Research Center affiliated with St. John's Mercy Medical Center and St. Luke's Hospital in suburban St. Louis, MO. Researchers looked at the effectiveness of taking naps and consuming caffeine to cope with sleepiness during the night shift. They found that both naps and caffeine improved alertness and performance among night shift workers.

Similarly, there is a method called the nap-a-latte where one drinks coffee or tea before taking a nap.

http://www.theinsomniablog.com/the_insomnia_blog/2007/02/cafnap_a_20minu.html

I could use nap right now but hi ho hi ho its off t work i go ahahah. Maybe i can sneak 10 minutes nap on my supper break. will read up on this later.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
:) On that note:

Sharpen Your Brain: Take a nap at 2 PM

The dip in body temperature that helps ease you into sleep at night also occurs midday, which is why afternoons can be so unproductive. But if you can catch a catnap around 2 PM (the slump usually hits between 1 and 3 PM), it should boost your alertness for several hours. Ten minutes will do the trick—nod off for more than 20 and you may wake feeling groggy.

If a nap is out of the question, eat plenty of protein at lunch, which will give you longer-lasting energy...

Prevention.com - The Healthiest Time to Do Everything

Andy

MVP
That would explain why I usually get so tired at 3-5 (I guess I just had to be different) but only can sleep for about 10-15 minutes. Good to know. :goodjob:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Banned

Banned
I really wish North America would follow the lead of the Europeans and shut down for a couple hours each afternoon for siesta. We are so corporate-driven though, it's really a shame.

I really rely on my naps - I need one a day or I can't function at all. Even if I don't fall asleep, I need that hour just to relax.

Oh definitely smart from napping I usually try to lie down for about an hour before going to work but i find it so hard to get up to go once lying down. that is the hard part

Domo

Inactive
I'm the same, i find it hard to get up. My naps are at least 2 hours long :lol:

Then i need time for my brain to wake up and to stop being cranky because i can't sleep anymore!

Banned

Banned
I'm guilty of not following this myself but I think they say optimum nap lengths are around 20 minutes. At 20 minutes I'm still wired and trying to relax. I need at least an hour, but if I lay down for too long, I can't get up either. Plus, my bed is heated, and I LOVE the heat. It's really hard for me to get out of bed at the best of times :lol:.

---------- Post added at 10:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

The hardest part is kicking the cats off the couch.

See, if you were a dog person, that wouldnt' be an issue.

Cats are pretty sure they are going to take over the world some day. At least that's the latest information I have.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.