More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Transcranial magnetic stimulation: Make decision carefully
By David Mrazek, M.D., Mayo Clinic
December 3, 2010

Who should receive transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS)?

Experience with TMS makes it clear that not all patients respond to this treatment, but it also demonstrates that some do. The success rate varies as a consequence of a number of factors, but the type and severity of the depression makes a difference.

TMS works best for patients with moderate depression who don't tolerate antidepressant medications. TMS is unlikely to work if you've received electro-convulsant therapy (ECT) and weren't helped by it.

TMS is still a quite new treatment. Psychiatrists vary in their experience using it and their confidence in its effectiveness. The most attractive features of TMS are that it's quite safe and effective for some patients. The biggest drawbacks are that it doesn't help some patients, it can take several weeks to begin to work, and is quite expensive.

If you're struggling with depression, you must ultimately decide whether TMS is the right treatment. A decision should be made on the basis of a frank discussion between a knowledgeable psychiatrist and an informed patient. Once you understand the potential benefits and risks as well as the cost, the decision should be made as to whether the potential gain is worth the cost. Beginning a new treatment is not usually an easy decision, but it should be a joint decision based on the available evidence.

attical

The potential side effect of rTMS is a possible headache. The problem is finding a psychiatrist who has experience with the treatment. The Clarke (CAMH) is testing it, and might still be looking for volunteers. Having had this treatment for many years, I swear by it, and recommend anyone suffering from depression contact CAMH Mood Disorders Clinic and discuss it with them. If accept, there is no charge.

denvecsr

I received rTMS therapy for depression, GAD (anxiety) and low back pain. Not only didn?t the rTMS therapy work for my illnesses it left me with total loss of sense of smell and taste. Thank you NeuroStar Did anyone else have this problem with their rTMS?

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.